• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 07:25:39 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Order Arrived+ Start Of Coopers Irish Stout Brew.

Started by Greg2013, January 07, 2013, 05:30:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg2013

No all coopers kits are 23 litres as far as i know. For other nerwbies that means your final volume of liquid wort in the FV is maximum 23 litres with a coopers beer kit setup.

I did all this in the kitchen which is the coldest room in the house and i am stirring every five mins to try to bring down the temp :(

My starting OG was 1.038 :o
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

Ciderhead

QuoteYa exactly what i did not do cause i got over excited so now i have 23 litres of wort sitting in a covered fv at 30C and i can't add any more cold water so i just have to wait until it comes down by nearly 10C to pitch my yeast.

If i had done it like ciderhead just said i would not be waiting like an eejit to pitch my yeast now :'(

Oh btw OG is 1.038 :o

Hmm not sure about your gravity reading a little on low side if that finishes 1.010 it will only give you 3.7 are you reading correctly on the meniscus?
You can bump it with sugar but as we mentioned before table sugar in small qtys
If it helps 1040 will give you 3.9 1045 will yield 4.6
Add sugar very slowly in 100 g drops and stir stir and then measure

Greg2013

Ok so bearing in mind that all equipment is soaking in sanitizer here is what i did. First i boiled a full kettle of water and placed that water in a saucepan on the stove, i then placed the coopers Irish stout can into that boiling water making sure the end i was opening was on the bottom so it would be sterilized.

Then i took my small can of treacle and left it on my digital scales so when i looked i knew it was exactly 500gr with the lid off. Forget about that for a while. In another sanitized pot i poured in two to three litres of cold water and after snipping my packet of coopers brew enhancer 2 open i poured it into the cold water slowly while stirring continuously so as to help it not to clump.Once it was all in i turned on stove under it about half way to gently heat the solution and kept stirring.
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

Ciderhead

Sorry you are right just checked an old brew book they were all 23 litres
Just stir!

Greg2013

January 07, 2013, 11:33:45 PM #19 Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 11:34:54 PM by deadman1972
Well for me and others what should my OG be ciderhead and what abv have you in mind?

I wonder if i added the rest of the treacle would that help ciderhead?

Ciderhead

QuoteOk so bearing in mind that all equipment is soaking in sanitizer here is what i did. First i boiled a full kettle of water and placed that water in a saucepan on the stove, i then placed the coopers Irish stout can into that boiling water making sure the end i was opening was on the bottom so it would be sterilized.

Then i took my small can of treacle and left it on my digital scales so when i looked i knew it was exactly 500gr with the lid off. Forget about that for a while. In another sanitized pot i poured in two to three litres of cold water and after snipping my packet of coopers brew enhancer 2 open i poured it into the cold water slowly while stirring continuously so as to help it not to clump.Once it was all in i turned on stove under it about half way to gently heat the solution and kept stirring.

You don't need to heat that's where you came unstuck
4 litres of boiling an rest cold water will get you to 20
You will know for next one!!

Damo

Hi Deadman

Dont worry too much.

You've two choices:
1) Put the lid on tight and move it out to the patio then put airlock on. It should cool down in 30mins or so.

2) put lid on tight and move it to its new home then put airlock on.  Pitch yeast in the morn.

You'll figure this all out quick enough with practice.

Good luck :)

Greg2013

Sorry tube i lost a lot of the pics cause i forgot to put the sd card in the camera :-[

I have another brew to do with a coopers wheat beer using me luds heffenweisen orange receipe ;D

Ciderhead

1038 even with all that treacle is it fully mixed in?

Ciderhead

QuoteWell for me and others what should my OG be ciderhead and what abv have you in mind?

I wonder if i added the rest of the treacle would that help ciderhead?

Guinness is 4.3

Ciderhead

Quote1038 even with all that treacle is it fully mixed in?
It's all gone to the bottom. Needs the bejaysus stirred out of it to get it into solution.

That's was I was thinking
Deadman can you see it through the bottom of the bucket
Get the torch out

Greg2013

When my solution of brew enhancer had reached 60C i stirred in half the treacle,thats 250 grams and i kept stirring vigirously until all treacle had dissolved into solution. ;D

Damo

Lads

Do you think the hydrometer was read correctly?

Deadman,  did you spin the hydro to remove any bubbles clinging to the side?

Take another reading

Greg2013

Now all this time the coopers stout can had been sitting in a pot softening. I removed it and opened it with a sterilized can opener. I poured the contents into my empty sterilized 33lt FV and filled the tin again with hot water and stirred to remove the last remainder of the solution. I poured this into the 33lt FV also.

Now my solution of brew enhancer 2 and 250gr treacle that i heated up i also poured into my FV on top of the can of coopers Irish stout. ;D

Greg2013

If there is one thing i know its how to read a meniscus, WRTC drilled that into me and i never forgot. Temp of wort was 30C when i measured OG ciderhead ;)