• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 06:23:06 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Order Arrived+ Start Of Coopers Irish Stout Brew.

Started by Greg2013, January 07, 2013, 05:30:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ciderhead

Just checked  if you measured at 30 degrees your actual  need adjusting by .oo35 so your actual,value is 1.041 which will give you 4.1
A bloody good sir to make sure all that treacle is dissolved and then bump it a couple of point with the brewing or table sugar you have and pitch and lid on

Ciderhead

January 07, 2013, 11:56:17 PM #31 Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 11:57:10 PM by Ciderhead
QuoteIf the wort was 30°C at his last post then he took the gravity of wort of at least that temperature. I think that'd part of the problem.

Deadman, the gravity needs to be taken at 20°C ideally, but you can take it hotter and correct it using a site like this:
http://hbd.org/cgi-bin/recipator/recipator/hydrometer.html

It's normally 15 but you knew that ;)
http://www.howtobrew.com/appendices/appendixA.html

Greg2013

January 07, 2013, 11:58:53 PM #32 Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 12:00:02 AM by deadman1972
Ok so ye got in ahead of me and the actaual adjusted OG is 1.041 accounting for a temp of 30C/86F.

Well ciderhead everything is in the fv now so can i still add more sugar and anyway why do i need to? :o
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

Ciderhead

Oh I'm exhausted from the stress how are we doing temp wise now?

Greg2013

27.5C ciderhead and falling slowly :'( Now get back to what you just said about adding more sugar to the 23 litres of wort. Its as much for me as other newbies ;D
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

Ciderhead

Lessons for newbies
1) listen to the idiots that have done it all before
2) first recipes keep as simple as possible, water, sugar or brew enhancer this allows you to get familiar with equipment, the process what's required
3) don't get too upset if it gets the better of you lesson learnt for next one

Ciderhead

Greg2013

I have both,1kg dextrose,3kg table sugar, still have more treacle as well. :o

Greg2013

As an added note to all newbies, ye can see now how getting over excited carried me away and i forgot important steps in the process,end result i can't pitch my yeast because my wort is too hot and i can't add cold water. Also i can't measure my OG properly at 30C :o Learn from my mistakes and pray that a patient friend like ciderhead and the rest will drag ye along ;D

Ciderhead

January 08, 2013, 12:12:15 AM #39 Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 12:39:13 AM by Ciderhead
Fuk the treacle put in batches of 100 g of dextrose until you get to your desired gravity
Retro bumping is not normally advisable for virgin kit brewers

LordEoin

January 08, 2013, 12:20:21 AM #40 Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 12:21:56 AM by eoinlayton@hotmail
I missed all the fun  :(

I think hydrometers should read 1.000 in 20C water.

Sugarwise, i'd say just leave it the way it is.
1.038 - 1.010 = 3.8, but once you factor in the priming sugar you'll be looking more at 4.1
Chalk all the confusion down to a lesson learned  :)

If it's still too warm (anything over 22) strap some frozen water bottles to the side for a while
Or THESE BOYOS

You can start making the second brew, even without an airlock.
Just put an upside-down bottle cap over the hole.
Or a square of clingfilm or baking paper with 3 sides taped down.
That will let gas out while keeping it safe. The airflow will be going one way.. out  :)

Greg2013

January 08, 2013, 12:22:51 AM #41 Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 12:26:25 AM by deadman1972
I was just thinking what if i dropped the whole fv into the chest freerzer for say 30 mins would that help?

To be quite honest i am more concerned with the brew turning out well than i am with the alcohol content. I f i get an abv of 3.5% i will be happy. I can always learn from my mistakes for the next brew ;D

LordEoin

January 08, 2013, 12:24:02 AM #42 Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 12:25:00 AM by eoinlayton@hotmail
Yup, I've done that plenty of times  ;D
Just make sure it's not touching anything that could infect it.
probably best to keep it off the meat and fish too in case you defrost them a bit.

LordEoin

But he's excited and it's his first brew and he wants to get it all done tonight and he wants to hear it bubble when he wakes up!

;D ;D ;D

LordEoin