• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 11:18:53 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Coopers Irish Stout Bottled.

Started by Greg2013, February 01, 2013, 07:08:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ciderhead

February 05, 2013, 11:40:16 AM #15 Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 11:50:05 AM by Ciderhead
The dedicated fermenting cupboard is a great idea or an old defunct fridge works well too.

Greg2013

I bit the bullet and purchased a fermwrap heater from homebrewcompany. On 23 litres of water it is holding  20/19/15 Celsius top/middle/bottom. Now I must come up with a way of heating bottles.
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

Ciderhead

QuoteI bit the bullet and purchased a fermwrap heater from homebrewcompany. On 23 litres of water it is holding  20/19/15 Celsius top/middle/bottom. Now I must come up with a way of heating bottles.

[smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

LordEoin

I was about to suggest the coopers pilsener kit with S23 yeast for brewing at about 12C, but now that you've got temperature control the world's your oyster :)

If your stout doesn't jump back into life with the warmer temperatures, text me your address and I'll post you up another pack of yeast to pitch. That should sort it out and get the whole thing moving along nicely again.

First though, pour yourself a glass of the wort and smell and taste it to see if it's still good.
It should smell and taste like warm, flat, sweet stout.
If it does, you should still be good  to finish up that brew  :)

Greg2013

Tis in the bottles me lud and yes it did taste like sweet flat stout before I.bottled it. I know I might have bottle bombs on my hands but I will have to risk it now. I have that shocktop on now since this morning so fermwrap is working on that. Thanks.
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

LordEoin

Sorry, i thought you poured it all back into the FV  to finish.
Best of luck with this brew, it should be a lot easier with the new temperature control

Robrew

so my bottle bomb friend any casualties? :P,  have ya released gas or are you just going to leave them?

Greg2013

Robrew m8 they are in crown cap glass bottles so i can't release gas. No casualties so far, they are in a heated insulated box at around 18c with a week now and so far so good. ;D

Damo

Hey

You might be ok :)

I'd say they'll be be a little over carbed but who cares!!!
Give them another week in your box and then into cold storage (your brew room) for a couple of weeks.
I hope you like extra cold stout ;)
Make sure chill right down to prevent gushers

Best of luck

Glad to see you have your temp control sorted

Robrew

ah that sounds good man, hopefully your in the all clear with them :P

Ciderhead

February 13, 2013, 11:38:17 PM #25 Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 11:40:56 PM by Ciderhead
QuoteRobrew m8 they are in crown cap glass bottles so i can't release gas. No casualties so far, they are in a heated insulated box at around 18c with a week now and so far so good. ;D

Crank one in a week, probably best done outside, wear gloves a hard hat 10mm of carbon fibre bullet proof clothing , oh and bring some wipes  ;D

Greg2013

Well i cracked one last night and flat as a pancake so i reckon this batch is a bust. Will leave it another couple of weeks to be sure but if after that it isnt carbing i reckon whats the point of keeping it?

newToBrew

have you a soda stream ? - if so -  carb as you go !!!
coz theres always something new to do

DEMPSEY

That will produce cream stout :-[. If you are going to try it make sure the beer is 2C first and do it outside :)
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

Greg2013

Have the bottles in a heat box and hoping for the best, not gonna waste any more time on this now, have my shocktop on and looking good so learn from mistakes and all that.