• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 29, 2024, 06:41:58 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

disloyal or wrong

Started by tipp brewer, December 09, 2016, 11:35:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Qs

Quote from: mr hoppy on December 10, 2016, 02:40:45 PMI also suspect people are getting more sophisticated / less easily impressed

Definitely. I remember being happy when the first craft tap in the town hit our local and I was delighted with it but now I wont drink beer from that brewery unless I have to.

Quote from: Bubbles on December 10, 2016, 04:30:51 PMCredit where it's due though, there are a few breweries that are doing a good consistent job. O'Haras and 8 Degrees have a really consistent level of quality (due to size maybe?) and Metalman pale ale and Galway Hooker is still always a welcome sight on the bar to me. Simple beers done well. And Kinnegar beers are always great.

I think Metalman is a brewery thats gone downhill. I used to love that pale ale but I think its changed too much.

Bubbles

Quote from: molc on December 10, 2016, 05:11:04 PM

Quote from: Bubbles on December 10, 2016, 04:30:51 PM
Yes, price is another sore point for a lot of craft drinkers now. Myself and molc both ordered a pint of Althea from a GBB bar recently and we both looked in bewilderment at the lack of small change thrust into our hands by the barman. If memory serves, it was 6.50 for a pint.. this is a sub 4.5% beer folks.... I don't care how much hops are in it, or how hipster it is.. that's fucking gouging, pure and simple.
Yup the month before I got a fresh bottle of Le Chouffe for less at the meet. Beautiful beer that was worth the less money.

And crucially also.. it's brewed and bottled by gbb and served directly in their own pubs! The markup must be huge, I don't get it.. must be plenty of eejits like myself that are willing to buy it.

Bubbles

Quote from: Qs on December 10, 2016, 05:17:19 PM
Quote from: mr hoppy on December 10, 2016, 02:40:45 PMI also suspect people are getting more sophisticated / less easily impressed

Definitely. I remember being happy when the first craft tap in the town hit our local and I was delighted with it but now I wont drink beer from that brewery unless I have to.

Quote from: Bubbles on December 10, 2016, 04:30:51 PMCredit where it's due though, there are a few breweries that are doing a good consistent job. O'Haras and 8 Degrees have a really consistent level of quality (due to size maybe?) and Metalman pale ale and Galway Hooker is still always a welcome sight on the bar to me. Simple beers done well. And Kinnegar beers are always great.

I think Metalman is a brewery thats gone downhill. I used to love that pale ale but I think its changed too much.

That would be a pity.

I wasn't that impressed with the cans of MM that I bought a few months ago, but I figured they might be a bit old.

Leann ull

I get a little frustrated as a member of Beoir sometimes as an Irish craft beer consumer group, I know they do a few bits but could do so much more to educate the public and the Brewers btw!
I know a lot of that revolves around who wants to do it.
Anyway listening to the sentiment here why don't we say here who makes good and bad beer maybe in the members area
Not sure info should be in full open public domain as it's a Breweries livelihood but it's our members money that is being wasted in drainpour beers.
Maybe what we could do is for everybody to get a specified bottle and we do live tasting sessions on say a Weds, if it's nasty our less experienced members could learn off flavours?
Any thoughts?

Sorcerers Apprentice

At Brewcon 2 years ago uniquely the female panelist I believe she was from Metalman stated that they don't experiment with pilot brews but go straight for full production on new recipes. From memory I think she said that they knew instinctively what would work, that has to be a recipe for disaster.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

There's no such thing as bad beer - some just taste better than others

Sorcerers Apprentice

Sorry ch we were typing at the same time. I think your suggestion is already happening on WhatsApp in guys rating beer 👍 or 👎or maybe that's just Liffey Brewers?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

There's no such thing as bad beer - some just taste better than others

BigDanny84

Live tastings is a great idea CH

molc

I think that's a great idea CH! Would get people trying more interesting beers as well - part if what the club is about!
Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter

Qs

A good excuse to drink midweek too.

Leann ull

December 10, 2016, 08:38:56 PM #24 Last Edit: December 10, 2016, 08:57:13 PM by CH
Ok just posted a few thoughts there in members area, probably best to keep it fluid to start and see what works best as long as we all share our taste thoughts and experiences.

auralabuse

I recently had 2 beers which were a bit "off", one was just yeast debris which hadn't dropped out so beer was drinkable. Other was an infection so down the sink.  I sent both a message on Facebook. The brewery with the yeast couriered out a 4 pack of beer as an apology the next day. Amazing customer service. The other apologized and said they would look into it, never heard anything after that.

Bubbles

Drinking a pint of Rebel Red in a pub in Kildare. God, this beer is a pale imitation of its former self.  Thin, tasteless, dull. Will be avoiding in future.

Leann ull

Had it in fowlers couple of months back with NCB lads it was piss

Bubbles

Maybe they're trying to tempt the Smithwicks drinkers with something resembling dishwater..?

Leann ull

Sorry I should have put that first statement in context, I was privileged to taste it in Fran Well in my early craft beer drinking days.