• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 28, 2024, 10:05:05 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

[Review] The Homebrew Company's All Grain Mash Kit - American IPA

Started by Partridge9, May 30, 2014, 04:58:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Partridge9

I was the lucky ticket out of Lord Eoins Hat and had the pleaure of reviewing the
The Homebrew Company-  American IPA All Grain Kit

The kit contains following items:
1) Grain
2) Hops - Appolo all the way.
   - 60min
   - 15min
   - 0min
   - Dry Hop Day 7

3) Whirlfloc tablet
4) US05 yeast
5) Instruction leaflet

First impressions on the packaging isnt great - but then once you consider the environment, I'd actually prefer the recycled and reused boxes.
The instructions are brief and too the point, perhaps a little daunting for the novice, none the less all the steps are explained and
you cant fault a guy for being to the point.
The addidion of new hops bags and a whirlfloc tablet was a nice touch.

The beer hit the numbers great at 1065 and the malt was clearly very fresh.

The hops were all Vacuum packed so also very fresh.

Boy the apollo really stinks ! Fantastic stuff.

I fermented this beer for 10 days (adding the dry hops at day7)

I then  cold conditioned this beer for a week in a keg. It was a really good IPA.

I enjoyed it so much I decided to enter it into the NHC National Homebrew competiton, where it scored a very credable 38 points
This is equally impressive as this is one of the most competitive categories.

One of the judges commented - 'More please' & 'I would buy this in the shop.'

The only complaint from the judges was the aroma was a little low, so perhaps a little more for that dry hopping required (or maybe - dont use a hop bag).

Overall 0- I would score this beer 9 / 10. Its a homebrew beer you could geniunely stick it to a comerical beer of the shelve and it would give it a run for its money.

Thanks to Shane at the homebrew comapny and thanks for Lord Eoin for the organising.

LordEoin

38 points? Well done!
Nice equipment too!
They're great kits alright. The American Pale Ale did very well also if I remember right :)

Qs

cochised

Received this and their blonde ale mash kits last week

Will be my first AG so will let you know how it goes.

Instructions seem straight forward enough to me, especially as a novice to AG

Partridge9

Very good. I cant recommend it more - its of particular benefit to new all-grainers.
The grain was fresh (well mine was), and it means you dont accumulate a lot of 1/2 filled 500g bags of speciality malt.
Which if we are honest just go-off and you have to throw out.

Best of luck !

Damien M

That was the kit I did first as an All Grainer ............... and as a Brewer!!!!as I went straight to All Grain, the quality that it produced made me feel like a Super Brewer!! ( I was innocent then!!! ::))

Highly Highly recommend this kit!!

cochised

Quote from: Partridge9 on June 09, 2014, 01:58:28 PM
Very good. I cant recommend it more - its of particular benefit to new all-grainers.
The grain was fresh (well mine was), and it means you dont accumulate a lot of 1/2 filled 500g bags of speciality malt.
Which if we are honest just go-off and you have to throw out.

Best of luck !
Very true, a load of half empty bags under my stairs

If I make a good success of these 2 I can see me doing plenty of them. Good prices and the exact amount of grains needed :)

Qs