• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 28, 2024, 09:55:02 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Flaked oats crushed or not

Started by wartotojas, April 16, 2017, 08:29:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wartotojas

Hi everyone,

I used to buy my grain kits crushed and got my hands on a mill recently so ordered my recipe kit uncrushed. Making some American wit that has 500g of flaked oats(aprox 12% of grain bill).

I was reading that flaked oats are ok to mash without milling. Since these are mixed will I be alright to run them through mill with rest of the grains?

Sorry if it's a noob question  :-[

DEMPSEY

They are fine as they are. Do not crush them as if you do you invite a stuck mash.
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

wartotojas

That's a thing flaked oats are mixed with rest of the grains :(

Pheeel

Add some hoat/rice husks if you can get some
Issues with your membership? PM me!

wartotojas

Had a brew planned for tomorrow :( will see if me five-year-old daughter is up for a task and pick out most of it ;D

molc

I actually grind oats all the time and have no issues. Makes it easier to get at the whole surface but does make things a little stickier. Go with a mash of 3L/kg thickness and it shouldn't stick.
Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter

Will_D

Surely Shirley the flaked oats will pass through the mill rollers without any more damage?

They have already been through the mill!
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

beerfly

I never bother milling anything flaked. like will I cant imagine most mills getting any purchase on them.
The more important question Flahavans or Odlums??

johnrm

Mill away, they're mixed in with mash kits.
Consider conditioning your malt, no need for hulls.

wartotojas

thanks for advice everyone. think I will just run everything through the mill and see what happens  :)

wartotojas

April 20, 2017, 11:31:28 AM #10 Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 05:16:57 PM by wartotojas
So I milled everything and brew it on Tuesday as planned. Most of the oat flakes went through without being crushed. This was my 4th brew on braumeister and it was pumping through very slowly. But at the end I got 79% efficiency were previous brews were 80%. So happy enough. Will see how it will turn out after.

DEMPSEY

The slowness was probably due to the oats. As they are already flattened I would recommend to just put them into the crushed grains and mix them up before putting into the mash. Glad it all went well for ye. :)
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

wartotojas

Nope, did not condition my malt.

As I said, only started milling myself recently so there is still stuff to learn
;D