• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 28, 2024, 11:10:17 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Adding artificial flavours

Started by phildo79, February 14, 2019, 10:46:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

phildo79

So I have a keg of oatmeal stout. I also have a few small bottles of artificial flavours (Capella brand, off eBay). I wasn't sure about dilution rates or which one would taste the nicest so I did not add any flavour when I kegged. I did, however, have enough left over for one bottle. Popped it recently and opened the peanut butter flavouring. Added a drop to about a half pint, tasted nothing. Kept adding drops and tasting until I reached 6 drops.

There was a little bit of peanut taste going on but it was really artificial and not that nice. I was hoping to pour myself a few glasses, add in a few drops of each flavour, see what I liked best, do the math...s, make the beer again and add the right amount during racking. Do I need to add this stuff when racking to fully appreciate it after conditioning? Or is what I have done a sound enough practice but I have just chosen the wrong sort of flavouring? Like I said, any difference in flavour was not that much or that nice.

Any help / suggestions is appreciated.

DEMPSEY

I did an experiment a few years back with a 500ml O'Hara's stout and sugar free Tesco,s Salted Caramel. I added one drop at a time to see what it would come out like. I can't recall how many drops but it did work. The sugar free would mean you will not have the sweetness fermenter off.
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

DEMPSEY

I remember now, 1 ml of salted caramel was sufficient to add an impact to 500ml bottle. It's a handy way of doing a controlled test if you wanted to do a full batch.
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

phildo79

Cheers. Think these are only 10ml bottles so I reckon they must be pretty potent. My keg is in the fridge now so I'll probably have another go tonight.

Pheeel

If you want to add peanut butter flavour I'd recommend going with PB2 (you can get it on Amazon). It's defatted peanut butter, so won't affect your beer head. I've tried it just as food and it tastes the same. AFAIK you add it at flameout
Issues with your membership? PM me!

phildo79

I have used peanut butter powder in the past. I am not necessarily going for a peanut butter stout, that just happened to be one of the flavours. I also have NY Cheesecake flavour and pralines and cream flavour.