• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 28, 2024, 08:05:47 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Guinness clone recipe/ advice

Started by Peadargls, April 12, 2021, 12:13:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peadargls

Hello all,

I have been homebrewing for about a year now and have become addicted! I have decided to try and make a Guinness clone since i have the correct 75/25 gas ready to go. I am finding it difficult to put together the best recipe as there are many opinions. Also, not sure if the method varies much. I have seen a lot of different takes on the souring process. Any ideas or set recipes/ instructions would be greatly appreciated! All the best

PS. i came across a few different takes that seem interesting and have included them below. The first one is from this thread but not sure as to which exact ingredients i should pick up.

------------------------------------------------
70% pale, 20% flaked, 10% roasted, 10% brown - close match

Another option from TheHomeBrewAcademy on youtube:
https://homebrewacademy.com/guinness-recipe/

I found this one online which looks interesting and detailed:
9 lbs Brit pale ale
1 lb flaked barley
18 oz roast barley
12 oz carapils
1.5 oz No. Brewer hops (60 min)
1 oz East Kent Goldings hops (60 min)

First, get the "tang" the way Guinness does: Sour about 24 oz (2 bottles) of stout (pref. Guinness) by leaving it out in a bowl a week or more & then freezing it.
While brewing, thaw the sour stout & heat it to 180-190 F for 20 min.
Mash-in at 155F, hold for 1 hour, boil 1 hour & 15 minutes.
At end boil, add the sour stout.
At 70F, pitch 2 packs of Wyeast #1084.
A month or so of cold lagering (<40F) after bottling or kegging will help.
A certified beer judge could not tell this from bottled Guinness.
Link - http://ericsbeerpage.com/Beer/Recipe/guin.htmlIngredients:

phildo79

Have you got the correct tap and reg for the job? There is another thread on here about the equipment needed. I thought it was just the gas but apparently not.

Peadargls

Hiya Phil,

Yeah i have the correct tap and reg etc. ready to go.

The recipe is the killer! I understand that there is no correct answer but i would love to get a semi-correct one  ;D  ;D

Thanks

phildo79

I have a Guinness recipe from Omnipollo. I could upload a photo for you but you will need to translate it from Swedish. But looking at it now, it doesn't mention adding sour beer. It does mention a small amount of acid malt and cereal flakes though.

DEMPSEY

The 70% pale, 20% flaked,and 10% roasted is an excellent recipe for doing this. bittering is in the 60 minute boil and aim for 23 IBU's and go for about 4.2%abv. I did it once and swapped out2% of the roast and added 2% acidulated malt to try add a bit of souring that Guinness has. You could move that to 3% but note that this lowers your PH so take that into consideration.
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

Peadargls

biertourist

I know this is an ancient thread at this point, BUT, if you're interested in only every once in a while having a beer on nitro / mixed gas, the Nuka taps are a great way to go as they have removable tips, so you can switch between a CO2 style spout and a nitro style spout and a growler filling spout.

They are also available with connections for 4mm EvaBarrier beer lines and DuoTight connections, which make every beer line a quick disconnect on both ends AND are great at resisting foaming.

I switched to Nukataps, DuoTight connections, and EvaBarrier lines last year and even on the first pour foaming is almost not an issue even with a hefeweizen.

I like to serve my stouts on CO2 and I'll fill them 2/3rds of the way with the normal CO2 spout and then I'll unscrew it and screw in the nitrogen style spout tip and it still provides that smooth, velvety, tiny-bubbled wet nitro-like foam even with only CO2. (And no washing out of flavor!)

Adam