• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 07:24:06 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Growing Hops Galway - anyone got any cuttings?

Started by DrowningManatee, February 18, 2013, 11:45:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrowningManatee

February 18, 2013, 11:45:59 AM Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 11:46:19 AM by MicksMagicMix
Just learning about this now. After all the serious whiffy (in a good way) beers on friday, I see these hops are a savage addition for serious beers.

It'd be cheap for any of us if we could get cuttings off each other, and the whole sentiment goin along with that's pretty sweet too.
Even if people don't have space to grow, I reckon some guerrilla style farming on the outskirts could do the job too? A few ropes and some tomato feed check'ups?
Any thoughts...
Primary :
Grapefruit mead

Secondary:
Orange Blossom Mead
Blackberry Mead

Bottled:

Will_D

February 18, 2013, 12:30:57 PM #1 Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 12:32:45 PM by Will_D
Hi Mick,

Welcome to the club. Now is just the right time to ask about hops.

Over the next few weeks the lads will be lifting and splitting rhizomes as easly March or so is the time to plant. On the warm west coast you may get away earlier.

Have a look at the hop wiki here:
http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.com/wiki/doku.php?id=hops_faq

Also search the forum for info on hops

As you posted here I am sure you'll get some replies from the loical lads.

This forum is pretty big and will take a bit of surfing around to get the feel of where to look for info.

Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

J o e

Interesting....

Nice to see Cascade is not a proprietary hop.

montofk

I'd give this a go, would be another nice level of authenticity to make own beer with own grown hops. I've got zero green fingered ability but it seems doable... English types sound the most forgiving for this climate which would suit my taste, wouldn't be bothered about German hops for the amount I'd use them... I suppose I'd give cascade a go.. (be rude not to)

How much hops comes on a plant if I order from here?: http://www.essentiallyhops.co.uk/acatalog/Hop_Plants.html

I take I'd have to wait until next year at least for it to begin being useful? (full maturity after 3 years?)

Does anyone in Galway do this? Any cuttings going? And advice too if that's going.... I'd be happy to buy some from this site and give some cuts in exchange, if that's possible. Failing that I'd return the favour next year when the plant fattens out a bit.

DrowningManatee

Cheers for the welcome Will, sweet site here  :)

If no-one has any cuttings I'd be well into buying a rhizome off the site, and then getting cuttings for different breeds off each other then (even next year) or even just exchanging straight hops if ye guys'd be into that? (I was at the Feb meeting and I'll be going to them from now on - Michael with the lagers).
Montofk - Id take cascade or fuggles? im a bit confused though, they talk about december delivery on the essentiallyhops site as they need to winter to ensure sprouting, but people say early march is time to plant as well? or is that just when you can take the rhizome? I must be getting this wrong...

anyhoo, should we say that we could do an order on Mar1st and hopefully more people will join in before then?
Primary :
Grapefruit mead

Secondary:
Orange Blossom Mead
Blackberry Mead

Bottled:

kev

There's a few more people interested here

http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1361195842

I was chatting to some of the different sites, waiting to see what their minimum order is to give some kind of a discount on, or if we're as well off just ordering separately.

DrowningManatee

sorry, march1st was a bit presumptious as I dont really know anyone to get money etc, might just wait and see what people say.
the group buy you mention would be cool but im in galway and wouldnt be going to dublin anytime soon im afraid. If noones into it I might just order some meself, though montofkexpressed an interest...
Thanks Kev, could you let us know if there's any crackin deals from any of the other sites, cheers :)
Primary :
Grapefruit mead

Secondary:
Orange Blossom Mead
Blackberry Mead

Bottled:

Will_D

February 22, 2013, 11:44:44 AM #7 Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 11:45:27 AM by Will_D
Quote... but im in galway and wouldnt be going to dublin anytime soon im afraid.

No problem thats why we have NHC Express, a courier service that covers the country and only costs a couple of bottles!

Check out this thread:
http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?board=NHCExpress

Its one of our unique features!! and makes us just that bit extra special!! In Our Opinion!!

Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

barkar

Any movement in getting some hop varieties ? was at march meeting but don't remember a hop buy being mentioned, with march being so cold I reckon there probably is still a possibility of planting and getting some harvest this year

DrowningManatee

sorry dude, meself and montofk bought some there, i got cascade and prima donna, stuck em in large pots outside, no sign o life yet.

hops were around 10 each after postage...
Primary :
Grapefruit mead

Secondary:
Orange Blossom Mead
Blackberry Mead

Bottled: