• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 28, 2024, 10:51:55 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

barrel aged project

Started by kev, December 02, 2012, 03:43:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kev

http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1354454748

Any interest in this lads?

It'd be a pretty cool project if we could get our hands on  a barrel

Kevco5

Thought about it before alright! Think I should step up to all grain first though to make sure I get the best from it!

St. Fursey

Excellent idea! I've been thinking about this for a while. An imperial stout is the obvious choice...
Do you know where to get hold of a barrel Kev?

kev

No, but hopefully somebody on here can point us in the right direction if they go ahead with a similar project in Dublin

J o e

Sounds good - count me in!

QuoteThought about it before alright! Think I should step up to all grain first though to make sure I get the best from it!

The only all-grain I've done was a Brew-In-A-Bag. But we don't need to go All-grain, it might be a more accessible project if we run with an extract recipe?

Hop Bomb

December 25, 2012, 12:42:24 PM #5 Last Edit: December 25, 2012, 12:43:15 PM by Hop_Bomb
Tom here. Im new on the forum. Been brewing for a while - mostly kits but am doing AG now too. Im in Galway city.

Id love to be involved in this. Ive a 200 litre Jameson barrel which I bought for a similar project. From what Ive been reading though it sounds like you have to fill it as all the empty space/air isnt the best for the brew. Thats a lot of beer to make  :)
On tap: Flanders, Gose,
Fermenting: Oatmeal Brown, 200ish Fathoms,
Ageing: bretted 1890 export stout.
To brew:  2015 RIS, Kellerbier, Altbier.

kev

Hi Tom,

That'd be fantastic if we could all chip in and do it in your barrel?

I dunno would we all need to do the same recipe? or different variations for extract, all grain etc

Will_D

December 25, 2012, 04:23:32 PM #7 Last Edit: December 25, 2012, 04:28:53 PM by Will_D
QuoteTom here. Im new on the forum. Been brewing for a while - mostly kits but am doing AG now too. Im in Galway city.

Id love to be involved in this. Ive a 200 litre Jameson barrel which I bought for a similar project. From what Ive been reading though it sounds like you have to fill it as all the empty space/air isnt the best for the brew. Thats a lot of beer to make  :)

Welcome aboard Tom.

If you have a 200 L Jamie barrel then beware!! count yer fingers and hands They'll be snatched away!

Is the barrel still wet? Its important not to let them dry out.

If they do, they need to be resoaked with a sanitary liquid to swell the staves and render then tight again.

Now if you in the Galway group are seriously thinking of brewing 200 L of a particular beer ( Stout is recommended ) then investing 40€ or so in a couple of bottles of Jamies would not go amiss on the finacial spread sheet!!

Merry Christmas

Will
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

Hop Bomb

Im in if ye are :)

@Will - I have the barrel soaking at present as it was dry when I got it (One of the hoops was loose). Stout Fellow also said a steamer would be a good idea to make it expand. It was crying a few tears when I left it yesterday but it should expand back to a water tight state. Il just need to top it up with whatever water its lost when I get back after xmas. It smells pretty good but no harm in soaking it again in a fresh batch of Jameson.

@Kev  Id be hoping others would suggest a recipe as Im still very new to AG. Im just copying recipes I see online. Id also like to get a few more brew days under my belt as Id hate to be the one to let down the whole project with a sub par OG.

Something to look forward to anyway! Cant wait.

Will_D

He He He or should it be Ho Ho Ho??

TF that this won't be ready for the competition of competitions ( this year any ways )!!

Next year I probably won't bother entering the "stout aged in an auld whisky barrel sub-category"
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

kev

Not sure when the January meeting will be Tom, but if you are about and agreeable Im sure there would be a lot of interest in this

St. Fursey

Hi Tom. I would love to get in on this project. We agreed at the last meeting that Fridays suited more people for meetings, that would mean Jan 25th for the next meeting. That said, we could always meet sooner to discuss options. I don't think that filling the barrel would be a problem; 5 or more brewers could easily do it and as Will said you will have no problem finding willing brewers in Galway! Keep us posted ;)

eanna

Hi guys, I could donate a batch from my small boiler to this cause aswell. A lot of logistics to work out though.

Kevco5

This growing a set of legs of its own!
We'll have to thrash this one out at the next meet!

Hop Bomb

Great stuff. See ye on the 25th!