• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 10:09:09 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

South Dublin Beer Tasting Event [Wednesday 20th March]

Started by Bubbles, February 07, 2013, 01:56:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bubbles

February 07, 2013, 01:56:37 PM Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 09:49:42 PM by Paddy_Bubbles
Hello all,

I'm trying to gauge interest in holding a homebrew tasting to cater for NHC members in the Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown area. I was conscious that there's already plans afoot to do a wider "Capital Brewers" tasting at some point, so I checked with Padraic who was very enthusiastic and suggested creating a new sub-forum for South Dublin. Thanks Padraic!

I've noticed a few brewers on the forum that are based around the DLR area and an informal mid-week session might appeal to some people who'd prefer to stay local and not have to trek into town laden with bottles! Naturally, you don't have to be based anywhere near South Dublin to attend, all welcome.

It occurred to me that the first tasting event would be an ideal way for members to showcase their entries for the forthcoming NHC competition. Down the line, we could even theme the tasting events along the lines of beer style. Lots of possibilities there.

I have a certain venue in Blackrock in mind and I'm planning on approaching the owner in a few days, depending on the level of interest we get.

Please let me know if you'd be interested in attending.

Sláinte,
Conor.

Rossa

I'm DLR but my back wall is SD. Blackrock is nearly as far as town but I'm interested!  Do I need to design another logo !? keep us posted and maybe set up a Twitter account and we can get the word out.

Bubbles

QuoteI'm DLR but my back wall is SD. Blackrock is nearly as far as town but I'm interested!  Do I need to design another logo !? keep us posted and maybe set up a Twitter account and we can get the word out.

Rossa, if you're DLR then the "South Dublin/Godrey & Tristan" Brewers have a claim on you. ;)

Probably best hold off on the logo until we see how much interest there is.

Who has access to the NHC's Twitter account?

Bubbles

Grand, I'm just thinking that a tweet/FB post to the wider community might be the best way of alerting members to this thread.

Rossa, could you possibly do the honours on this?

JimmyM

February 08, 2013, 06:39:57 PM #5 Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 06:57:10 PM by JamesM
Holy bejaysus - How'd I only see this now. I usually just look out for the capital brewer changes - and ignore the new posts in the other sections - didnt realise this new one was created.

Im in killiney - few more about the place too - Mike is near me and Doshannan is in blackrock, Damo is in bray - but im nearly sure he'd be inside the DLR boundary :P
- so id say we could get something going alright.

Paddy - any ideas on a venue? Edit: Scratch that I read your OP again.
Formerly JamesM.

Ciderhead

QuoteDamo's got a clubhouse in Bray that you can use ;)

Don't get sucked into the big schmooke Damo we are gonna do our own thing in Wickla shortly  ;)

Shanna

Hi Paddy Bubbles,

Definitely interested and would be great not to have to always go to Bull and Castle in the city centre (fine pub just hard to get to due to young to young kids at home).

Would be interested to know what pub you have, in . mind when you have talked, to the owner. One other thing is that I would also be interested in organising a group brew at some point later in the year when the days are longer and I have my brewery finished. I am eager to learn from other brewers and as I have two large sheds should have enough space to host it.

Declan
Cornie keg group buy organiser, storeman & distribution point
Hops Group buy packer
Regulator & Taps distribution point
Stainless Steel Fermenter Group Buy Organiser
South Dublin Brewers member

Bubbles

QuoteDone.

Thanks for that Rossa, looks like your tweet generated a bit of stir..

Bubbles

QuoteHoly bejaysus - How'd I only see this now. I usually just look out for the capital brewer changes - and ignore the new posts in the other sections - didnt realise this new one was created.

Im in killiney - few more about the place too - Mike is near me and Doshannan is in blackrock, Damo is in bray - but im nearly sure he'd be inside the DLR boundary :P
- so id say we could get something going alright.

Paddy - any ideas on a venue? Edit: Scratch that I read your OP again.

I have the Dark Horse (Blackrock) in mind cos it's run by the good folks who run ATG in town. Handy for any folks on the train line anyway. Padraic informs me that the manager is a good fella to deal with. It has the advantage of having an extensive range of craft brew for when the homebrew runs out!

I'll drop into them after the weekend and we'll see if they're up for hosting something.

Bubbles

QuoteHi Paddy Bubbles,

Definitely interested and would be great not to have to always go to Bull and Castle in the city centre (fine pub just hard to get to due to young to young kids at home).

Would be interested to know what pub you have, in . mind when you have talked, to the owner. One other thing is that I would also be interested in organising a group brew at some point later in the year when the days are longer and I have my brewery finished. I am eager to learn from other brewers and as I have two large sheds should have enough space to host it.

Declan

Howya Declan. Great to hear. A couple of young 'uns in the house is partly my motivation for wanting to see more local club events too. As I said above, I'll be approaching the Dark Horse soon.

Very interested in that brew day you're talking about. From our chat on the first brew day in TOG I think I'm less than 10 mins walk from you there.

Shanna

February 09, 2013, 08:16:45 AM #11 Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 09:32:47 AM by doshanahan
Hi Paddy Bubbles,

Yes I remember we were chatting and apologies for.not reaching out sooner but have had a manic 8 weeks work and home wise. Hope we can meet up soon. I recently started to harvest yeast and have a brewing fridge so things are.moving along. Show you how.out of touch on the pub scene in Blackrock I had to Google where.the.Dark horse is

Shanna
Cornie keg group buy organiser, storeman & distribution point
Hops Group buy packer
Regulator & Taps distribution point
Stainless Steel Fermenter Group Buy Organiser
South Dublin Brewers member

David

I would love to see it happen between training and work my free time is all over the place but with a weeks notice I'm sure I could make it. I could walk over in less than 30mins and work up a bit of a thirst.

Bubbles

Good stuff. Should have some news on this tomorrow.