• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 10:30:23 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Barrel Project

Started by JimmyM, March 22, 2013, 03:16:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimmyM

You may have noticed in the for sale section Declan (CARA) has sourced 36 gallon Whiskey barrels at a great price. £40 sterling plus carriage from the north.

So we're looking for numbers of people who would be willing to contribute with both beer and cost of Barrel.

The basic idea is that we pick a recipe (some kind of imperial stout) and  a number of us brew it. After it has fermented and been tested for infection etc, it goes into the barrel along with everyone elses contribution and is left to age for a while.

After it has finished ageing you take back out what you put in, and either keg it or bottle it or whatever is your preference.

Thats how i understand it (someone correct me if im wrong)

1. Paddy Bubbles
2. JimmyM
Formerly JamesM.

Rossa

March 22, 2013, 04:02:25 PM #1 Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 04:17:13 PM by Ronaldo
Don't forget the barrel with take it's share too.

I'd be interested.

Bubbles

Some barrel related projects from the Mad Fermentationist, to whet your appetite...

http://www.themadfermentationist.com/2012/10/rumble-barrel-cinnamonvanilla-imperial.html
http://www.themadfermentationist.com/2012/11/malt-whisky-barrel-rye-stout-recipe.html
http://www.themadfermentationist.com/2012/09/rumble-barrel-belgian-strong-dark-recipe.html

Of course, down the road when the barrel has given up most of its oaky, whiskey flavour, we can look into spiking it with Brett and all that other funky stuff. Cool.

JimmyM

QuoteDon't forget the barrel with take it's share too.

I'd be interested.

Yeah true enough.

Id be very happy if we got something along the lines of that jameson aged stout that the fran well were selling!

Im not too much into pricking around with fruit to be honest.
But thats just my opinion :)
Formerly JamesM.

Shanna

March 22, 2013, 07:39:15 PM #4 Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 07:40:56 PM by doshanahan
 Where would you plan to site the barrel?

Shanna
Cornie keg group buy organiser, storeman & distribution point
Hops Group buy packer
Regulator & Taps distribution point
Stainless Steel Fermenter Group Buy Organiser
South Dublin Brewers member

JimmyM

good point, I said on the other thread I could store it at least til its ready to be filled.

I was just planning on leaving it in the shed - or in a spare room- ive loads of them at the moment!

But I never thought of what dimensions these things might be.
Will they go through a standard door? My side entrance is fairly narrow too - tiny bit wider than a wheely bin.

Is your place better suited Declan?
Formerly JamesM.

andrewL46

Count me in for sure, have always loved the idea of doing something like that!!

JimmyM

Cool.

1. Paddy Bubbles
2. JimmyM
3. Rossa
4. andrewl46
Formerly JamesM.

Will_D

But I never thought of what dimensions these things might be.
Will they go through a standard door? My side entrance is fairly narrow too - tiny bit wider than a wheely bin.

Have just updated the master thread!
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

Bubbles

Lads, where does this project currently stand? Do we have enough interest for this? And what is the story with storing this barrel long-term? (I would offer, but I don't have the space for it, and I'm due to move house in about 6 months)

My limited capacity (brewing, not mental) at the moment means that the most I'll be able to contribute to this will be 30 litres. And even that will involve two brew days.

Any ideas on timeline? When to take delivery of barrel. When are we brewing and transferring to the barrel. How long to age in barrel.

If the interested parties are coming along to the tasting in the Dark Horse on 7th May we could discuss then..?

JimmyM

Need a decision quicker than that i think.
Im starting to have doubts about it myself.
Ive got somewhere to put it, but not long term.
And i havent brewed in ages so not sure i would be able to provide anything to fill it.

Ill have to say im out.
Formerly JamesM.

CARA

That's a shame Jimmy, this could be an epic opportunity to learn about another aspect of the brewing process plus a manic 6 person brew day sounds like it would be a challenging laugh.
Upa Sesh

Bubbles

That's a damn shame, I was really excited by this opportunity. I'd love to do it, but I just can't at the moment. Bad timing.

Any other volunteers in south Dublin willing to store the barrel on behalf of the club??

JimmyM

If anyone on the list is still really up for this - the bray lads might need contributions.

This was my initial suggestion anyway.
Formerly JamesM.

Bubbles

Yeah, I was thinking the Bray project might be best for me, logistically speaking.

So is that it then dude? Are we officially putting the nail in the coffin/barrel?