• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 11:05:07 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

The Barrel Project - The Recipe

Started by Bubbles, April 14, 2013, 07:33:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bubbles

Ok lads, just starting a thread to keep track of our recipe discussions.

I think we agreed today that due to system constraints of some contributors (myself and Shanna) that we will be doing an Imperial Stout of around 9-10% ABV.

Just to kickstart the project, Rossa has agreed to come up with a recipe for us all to follow. Ideally, we want something that is slightly different to the recipe being planned by the Capital Brewers, so that members of that club can be involved in the South Dublin barrel and still have a bit of variety.

So we could go with a different yeast, specialty grains, yeast, whatever. Rossa, over to you dude.

Shane Phelan

Different yeast could nearly be enough, the taste from different yeasts is astounding sometimes!
Brew Log

Shanna

Just on the yeast any chance we could get a sample of the same yeast and all use that?

Shanna
Cornie keg group buy organiser, storeman & distribution point
Hops Group buy packer
Regulator & Taps distribution point
Stainless Steel Fermenter Group Buy Organiser
South Dublin Brewers member

Bubbles

Regarding yeast, I'd be inclined to avoid liquid yeasts and starters with a beer of this gravity. With the dry yeast we have an easy and inexpensive way of ensuring that we have an adequate pitch rate for such a high-gravity beer. If we just use the same strain we can each obtain a consistent result.

We certainly need something with a high degree of attenuation so I'm thinking either US-05 or Nottingham. If the Capital Brewers are going with US-05 we could ring the changes by using Notty which will give a bit more English yeast character.

Thoughts?

Will_D

QuoteDidn't we get 500g blocks of dried yeast as sponsorship for the competition.

Where is that now?
Believe James has it?
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

Will_D

Just talked to James He's a bit busy to post so asked me!

Yes he has the yeast. Some is in small packets (he thinks Lager and Hefe Weissen) some in large 200 - 300 gm packs (he thinks these may be ale yeasts).

He will check tonight and then we need a way to divvy up the big packs in a clean/sterile sort of way.

Will keep you updated
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

Rossa

Just to weigh in .... How about a Brown Porter of sorts? Something like Old Rasputin Imperial. Lots of Brown and Choc malt.

On the yeast.. I prefer using liquid yeast but that is my choice. I think if that is too much for everyone then just use s-05. I note that BYO had Old Rasputin in their hop lovers guide and they use 1056 or 001 so they are along similar lines. I would think 2/3 packets of dried yeast would be needed per 20l batch.

Hops - English or American? We will need a shit load either way.

Bubbles

QuoteJust to weigh in .... How about a Brown Porter of sorts? Something like Old Rasputin Imperial. Lots of Brown and Choc malt.

On the yeast.. I prefer using liquid yeast but that is my choice. I think if that is too much for everyone then just use s-05. I note that BYO had Old Rasputin in their hop lovers guide and they use 1056 or 001 so they are along similar lines. I would think 2/3 packets of dried yeast would be needed per 20l batch.

Hops - English or American? We will need a shit load either way.

I like the idea of an Imperial Porter - plenty of brown and chocolate malt as you say. But I'd love to see plenty of crystal and black patent in there too.

Here's the BYO recipe Rossa is talking about.

http://byo.com/mead/item/1182-north-coasts-old-rasputin-the-replicator

Not sure about hops. Late additions, or is there any point? How do you think something like late-addition Centennial/Cascade would go with the Irish whiskey flavours?

How about Magnum for bittering. Let's go with something neutral and high-alpha to reduce the amount of hop crud.

Bubbles

Ok, thought I'd kick things off with a recipe suggestion. Don't mind the amount of base malt I've specified here. As long as you adjust your batch size and efficiency to hit the target OG we'll be fine.

Included some dark muscovado sugar to add a little character and offset the crystal malt. Not sure about the proportions of roasted malts. Do suggest changes please. More brown malt?

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 22.00 l
Post Boil Volume: 20.11 l
Batch Size (fermenter): 20.00 l   
Bottling Volume: 20.00 l
Estimated OG: 1.089 SG
Estimated Color: 47.6 SRM
Estimated IBU: 68.7 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 70.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes
Ingredients:
------------
Amt                   Name                                     Type          #        %/IBU         
6.000 kg              Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM)         Grain         1        75.0 %       
0.300 kg              Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM)          Grain         2        3.7 %         
0.300 kg              Brown Malt (65.0 SRM)                    Grain         3        3.7 %         
0.300 kg              Chocolate Malt (450.0 SRM)               Grain         4        3.7 %         
0.300 kg              Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM)                Grain         5        3.7 %         
0.250 kg              Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM)    Grain         6        3.1 %         
0.250 kg              Caramel/Crystal Malt -100L (100.0 SRM)   Grain         7        3.1 %         
37 g                  Magnum [14.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min         Hop           8        68.7 IBUs    
2.0 pkg               Safale American  (DCL/Fermentis #US-05)  Yeast         9        -            
0.300 kg              Brown Sugar, Dark (50.0 SRM)             Sugar         10       3.7 % 

Rossa

This is what I was thinking. The barrel will mellow the dark malts so we can load up on those. Most beers are not barrel aged so they need to balance the dark malts to have it drinkable. 6 months in a barrel will do it for us. It should be easy enough, but more expensive, to lash am extract version together.

[size=14]South Dublin Brewers Barrel Project Imperial Porter[/size]
[size=12]13-F Russian Imperial Stout[/size]
[size=10]Author: rossa[/size]
[size=10]Date: 16/04/2013[/size]

[size=10]Size: 20 L @ 20 °C[/size]
[size=10]Efficiency: 60%[/size]
[size=10]Attenuation: 75.0%[/size]
[size=10]Calories: 331.2 kcal per 12.0 fl oz[/size]

[size=10]Original Gravity: 1.098 (1.075 - 1.115)[/size]
[size=10]|=================#==============|[/size]
[size=10]Terminal Gravity: 1.025 (1.018 - 1.030)[/size]
[size=10]|================#===============|[/size]
[size=10]Color: 72.82 (59.1 - 78.8)[/size]
[size=10]|===================#============|[/size]
[size=10]Alcohol: 9.81% (8.0% - 12.0%)[/size]
[size=10]|===============#================|[/size]
[size=10]Bitterness: 160.9 (50.0 - 90.0)[/size]
[size=10]|================================|[/size]

[size=12]Ingredients:[/size]
[size=10]8.0 kg (71.1%) Pale Ale Malt - added during mash[/size]
[size=10]1 kg (8.9%) Amber Malt - added during mash[/size]
[size=10]1 kg (8.9%) Brown Malt - added during mash[/size]
[size=10].5 kg (4.4%) Crystal 55 - added during mash[/size]
[size=10].5 kg (4.4%) Chocolate Malt - added during mash[/size]
[size=10].250 kg (2.2%) Black Malt - added during mash[/size]
[size=10]30 g (13.0%) Magnum (14.1%) - added during boil, boiled 90 m[/size]
[size=10]50 g (21.7%) East Kent Goldings (7.2%) - added during boil, boiled 30 m[/size]
[size=10]150 g (65.2%) East Kent Goldings (7.2%) - added during boil, boiled 20 m[/size]
[size=10]2.0 ea Fermentis US-05 Safale US-05[/size]

[size=12]Schedule:[/size]
[size=10]Ambient Air: 21.11 °C[/size]
[size=10]Source Water: 15.56 °C[/size]
[size=10]Elevation: 0.0 m[/size]

[size=9]Results generated by BeerTools Pro 1.5.24[/size]

Shanna

Hi Rossa

Got my mash tun manifold finished last night. So hoping to get the insulation on this weekend.  Any chance you would export this recipe from beer tools and attach the exported file to the thread? Are there any special instructions required with respect to sparging or recirculating the wort from the mash tun?

What should the strike temp of the mash water be and how long should one mash for? By the way I have a huge amount of unmalted Barley that I can give people to roast at home them selves.

Shanna
Hops Group buy packer

andrewL46

Recipes look good lads, have always wanted to do something along the lines of Old Rasputin. I prefer liquid yeast as well but if it makes it easier for everyone to go with dry I'm happy either way. Does 150g of EKG not seem like an awful lot at 20 mins? Probably won't even notice it after 6 months

Rossa

QuoteRecipes look good lads, have always wanted to do something along the lines of Old Rasputin. I prefer liquid yeast as well but if it makes it easier for everyone to go with dry I'm happy either way. Does 150g of EKG not seem like an awful lot at 20 mins? Probably won't even notice it after 6 months

You might well be right but it can't hurt! I think, with Peter's advice, that we just bump up the 90min hops.

Shanna - I would say a 2.5l/kg mash. 65/66c 60-90 min mash. Collect enough to reduce to 20/21l. This depends on your system. I would be looking at collecting about 32-35l and boiling it down to the target gravity. Don't forget your extraction will probably be down so a good sparge volume will be needed.

Bubbles

I think that looks like a great recipe, Rossa. I'd never have thought about putting so much amber and brown malt into this beer but with the long aging, it will taste very special indeed.

I do have a couple of concerns about how my system will cope, however..

I do a partial-mash system (along with a partial-boil, depending on batch size). For a beer of this gravity, this is going to  mean at least two brew days for me order to get 30 litres into two fermenters. Taking into account the loss to trub and hop soakage, I'll be doing well to get 25 litres into the barrel. I'm happy enough taking 20 litres out of the barrel at the end of aging, but I don't want to leaving the rest of ye short.

Has there been any discussion of a communal brew day? If so, I'd be more than happy to double my contribution by getting the ingredients and brewing on someone else's system?

I wonder how the huge percentage of roasted malt is going to affect my partial mash system in terms of pH and conversion, but we'll just have to wait and see.

That's a huge mass of hops. Do we really need that much? (I think pellets might be the way to go for me, to minimise wort loss in my already small system).

Just thinking out loud - what would you think of using something like Cascade instead of EKG? I like the idea of making this more American, but I don't know how that flavour would go with the Irish whiskey flavours.

I'm going to start another thread to keep track of who is contributing to the South Dublin barrel, and how much they're going to put in.

Shanna

Hi Rossa

Most of this makes sense; I am a bit hazy on the sparge volume and the temp and schedule for the sparge steps. Would it be okay for you to give my calculations a review before i attempt this? My other main concern is that this will be the first outing for most of my equipment and also my first all grain brew. Think big I say (help !!!!)

Shanna

Quote from: Rossa on April 17, 2013, 07:04:10 PM
QuoteRecipes look good lads, have always wanted to do something along the lines of Old Rasputin. I prefer liquid yeast as well but if it makes it easier for everyone to go with dry I'm happy either way. Does 150g of EKG not seem like an awful lot at 20 mins? Probably won't even notice it after 6 months

You might well be right but it can't hurt! I think, with Peter's advice, that we just bump up the 90min hops.

Shanna - I would say a 2.5l/kg mash. 65/66c 60-90 min mash. Collect enough to reduce to 20/21l. This depends on your system. I would be looking at collecting about 32-35l and boiling it down to the target gravity. Don't forget your extraction will probably be down so a good sparge volume will be needed.
Hops Group buy packer