• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 09:04:36 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

The Barrel Project - The Recipe

Started by Bubbles, April 14, 2013, 07:33:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will_D

Declan

If this is your first AG brew then I would suggest your group hosts a "Brew day" for 2 or 3 or 4 of you who can experience the first hand joy of group AG brewing!!

It would certainly "ease yer angst"
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

Shane Phelan

April 18, 2013, 10:48:42 PM #16 Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 10:58:48 PM by shiny
I have no problem with a group brew day (In fact I would love that!) and will happily let people use my equipment if they need to.

Also Declan it is worth getting your equipment set up with beersmith. Follow the equipment profile video to see how many litres you are losing at various points of the process so that the software can take them into account.
Brew Log

Shanna

Hi Shiny

I have created the equipment profile in beersmith already and am going to follow steps outlined in batch sparging.

Shanna
Cornie keg group buy organiser, storeman & distribution point
Hops Group buy packer
Regulator & Taps distribution point
Stainless Steel Fermenter Group Buy Organiser
South Dublin Brewers member

Bubbles

I think that's a great idea.

If someone wants to bring along their equipment and know-how to the communal brew day, I'll supply the ingredients and split the batch with them.

Shane Phelan

If we were to do a communal brew day, I'm happy to leave my fermenter there if there is room for it?
Brew Log

Shanna

Hi Paddy bubbles and Shiny

I was thinking about doing a communal brew day sometime over the bank holiday weekend but have not broached the subject at home yet. I also have to attach my heating elements,  finish the mash tun insulation, sight glasses,  electrical relay controllers and build a table before we could do it.  Let's play it by ear for now I will keep you posted of progress. If we were to do an evening brew session that ran into the early hours this would be better and more likely that it won't cause friction for Paddy bubbles and I who have kids.

Let me know what you guys think?

Shannna
Hops Group buy packer

Bubbles

Quote from: shiny on April 19, 2013, 10:20:26 AM
If we were to do a communal brew day, I'm happy to leave my fermenter there if there is room for it?

That's another thing that we have to agree on...

I do my brewing on the stove top, so I'm going to ferment it at home. I'll transfer to secondary and transport to Shanna's place, if that's okay with him. There it can await transfer to barrel. Just to avoid disturbance of the beer and all.

JimmyM

Quote from: Shanna on April 19, 2013, 10:43:42 AM
and more likely that it won't cause friction for Paddy bubbles and I who have kids.

Ive a pair of trouser yous can borrow if your respective missus' wont let you wear them!
Formerly JamesM.

Bubbles

Quote from: JimmyM on April 19, 2013, 04:13:54 PM
and more likely that it won't cause friction for Paddy bubbles and I who have kids.

Ive a pair of trouser yous can borrow if your respective missus' wont let you wear them!

Fight! Fight! Fight! Fight! Fight!

Shanna

Naw doing alright in "my gĂșna".

Regards,

Shanna
Quote from: JimmyM on April 19, 2013, 04:13:54 PM

Hops Group buy packer

Shanna

Hi Paddy B, Shiny and JimmyM

Have confirmed that a late evening brewing session would be ok. I put the elements on my 2nd kettle last night and fingers crossed no leaks. I also started putting the insulation on the mash tun. Getting the sight glasses the week after next so hope to be ready soon.

Paddy B I have a large stock pot and a cooker that I have done a few extract brews on already. Even if you decide to still brew at home it would be great if you could pitch in and help me out, I have a feeling it will be needed ;-)

I was thinking that we could leave the fermenters in my attic.

Shanna
Hops Group buy packer

Bubbles

Yeah that's grand. I'll have no problem heading up for an hour or two anyway.

So are you using the stockpot or your new boiler? Or both?

Bubbles

Quote from: Shanna on April 20, 2013, 08:10:26 AM
I was thinking that we could leave the fermenters in my attic.

How do you access you attic? If it's up any kind of stairs/ladder I'd advise against it. Could you use your shed, where I presume the barrel will be sited?

Bubbles

Well, my ingredients are ordered now, so I hope the recipe doesn't change too much.

I would like to change the hop bill a little - more bittering hops. Is there any point in doing both 30 and 20 min addditions of EKG?