• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 06:47:59 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

The Barrel Project - The Recipe

Started by Bubbles, April 14, 2013, 07:33:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shanna

Ciderhead would you mind paying your beer tools recipe please?

Shanna
Cornie keg group buy organiser, storeman & distribution point
Hops Group buy packer
Regulator & Taps distribution point
Stainless Steel Fermenter Group Buy Organiser
South Dublin Brewers member

Ciderhead

Quote from: Shanna on April 25, 2013, 11:24:12 PM
Ciderhead would you mind paying your beer tools recipe please?

Shanna

? the recipe
Pm me your mail address thnx

Shanna

Bloody mobile predictive text.  Meant to say posting the beer smith recipe. Pm sent.

Shanna
Cornie keg group buy organiser, storeman & distribution point
Hops Group buy packer
Regulator & Taps distribution point
Stainless Steel Fermenter Group Buy Organiser
South Dublin Brewers member

Bubbles

Lads, what do you think our finished beer is going to taste like? The only homebrewed stouts and porters I've done have relied heavily on crystal and the darker roasted malts. I can't think what all that toasted malt (amber and brown) is going to lend it, because I have little experience with these malts. It's exciting stuff!!

Shane Phelan

My latest brew mightn't be a million miles away from it. It will be at the next SD Meet so you can verify then.  ;)
Brew Log

Bubbles

That looks great, and not a million miles from our barrel recipe, true enough.

Makes me think we should have a little wheat malt in our barrel recipe for head retention, but no use making changes at this late stage.

How did you make a "dark" starter? Is there much of an advantage to having the same sort of specialty grains in your starter that you have in your wort?

Shane Phelan

Yeah I'm a big fan of using wheat for head retention but after 6 months in a barrel with 10% alcohol or higher I don't think there is going to be much head to retain...  ;D

I just made it dark as i was going to pitch the full starter into my beer. No real scientific reason.
Brew Log

Bubbles

True that. There's plenty of crystal in there anyway.

Ciderhead

beersmith is telling me 3 packets US05

Bubbles

I'd say you'll be fine with two packets. Just remember to rehydrate, I find it makes a big difference. I used to be a "sprinkler"... :-[

beerfly

im generally a sprinkler cause im a bit lazy.  but with the amount of sugar in this will definatly be rehydrating.

on a related note due to a slight order mess up on my side i got way too much yeast nutrient last time so if any one wants some can probably pass it about

cant wait to see who's fermenter makes the biggest mess

Bubbles

Quote from: beerfly on April 28, 2013, 02:20:23 PM
im generally a sprinkler cause im a bit lazy.  but with the amount of sugar in this will definatly be rehydrating.

on a related note due to a slight order mess up on my side i got way too much yeast nutrient last time so if any one wants some can probably pass it about

cant wait to see who's fermenter makes the biggest mess

I hope it won't be me anyway - I'm doing 2 x 15 litre batches, both in 23 litre fermenters. If my fermentations end up spewing out the top, I think I'll have to look closer at my temperature control.  ;)