• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 28, 2024, 07:31:07 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

[request] Milk Stout recipe

Started by Motorbikeman, February 28, 2016, 10:02:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Motorbikeman

Could anyone tell me how to make a nice milk stout like this one?    Im drinking this now.  And its really nice.  (Even the wife likes it which is odd)
https://www.obrienswine.ie/jack-cody-s-black-jack-drogheda-stout-50cl-bottle.html

Motorbikeman

Going to go with this. Just ordered .. 
BeerSmith 2 Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Milky Madness Stout
Brewer: Motorbikeman
Asst Brewer:
Style: Sweet Stout
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 28.00 l
Post Boil Volume: 26.00 l
Batch Size (fermenter): 23.00 l   
Bottling Volume: 21.00 l
Estimated OG: 1.055 SG
Estimated Color: 62.1 EBC
Estimated IBU: 23.6 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 78.7 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt                   Name                                     Type          #        %/IBU         
23.00 l               Dublin, Ireland                          Water         1        -             
4.20 kg               Pale Malt, Maris Otter (5.9 EBC)         Grain         2        73.7 %       
0.30 kg               Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (78.8 EBC)    Grain         3        5.3 %         
0.30 kg               Chocolate Malt (886.5 EBC)               Grain         4        5.3 %         
0.20 kg               Barley, Flaked (3.3 EBC)                 Grain         5        3.5 %         
0.20 kg               Roasted Barley (591.0 EBC)               Grain         6        3.5 %         
0.20 kg               Special B Malt (354.6 EBC)               Grain         7        3.5 %         
0.30 kg               Milk Sugar (Lactose) (0.0 EBC)           Sugar         8        5.3 %         
30.00 g               Challenger [7.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min      Hop           9        20.8 IBUs     
1.22 Items            Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins)        Fining        10       -             
11.00 g               East Kent Goldings (EKG) [5.00 %] - Boil Hop           11       2.8 IBUs     
1.0 pkg               Safale American  (DCL/Fermentis #US-05)  Yeast         12       -             

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 5.70 kg
----------------------------
Name              Description                             Step Temperat Step Time     
Mash In           Add 15.78 l of water at 72.4 C          66.7 C        60 min       

Sparge: Batch sparge with 2 steps (4.47l, 14.85l) of 75.6 C water
Notes:
------

Created with BeerSmith 2 - http://www.beersmith.com

Slev

I have a milk stout in the fermenter , which has a similar grain bill. I took a gravity reading (day 10) to check for any issues (had read about possible stalled fermentations) . All looked good and gravity was spot on.
But it tasted sour. I would describe it as buttermilk or soda bread  flavour.  So I suspect it may have got infected (but will bottle it none the less and see how it conditions- could still be OK).
In my brew, I ended up using a roasted barley with a ebc of 1300 and chocolate malt with a ebc of 1040 (all that was available at the time). I scaled the recipe down to my size (13.5l in fermenter using biabacus).
Would using a higher ebc malt result in higher acidity and a sour taste? Should I use less proportionally?

Plan to do a small batch with the left over roast barley

(Sorry to be high jacking the thread on my first post ! )

Motorbikeman

If it was similar in grain bill then I think you may have a problem. 

I also had a problem, but it was grain crush, and gravity related .  Dumped the batch.   Supplyer made good and resent the lot with extras.

I have it in the fermenter again . 1 week.

If its similar to mine, it should not be sour..  Mine is a little bitter, roasty, and sweet.  Lovely to be honest.    It fermented  furiously the second time around and filled the blow off jar (and bottom of fridge) with sticky glu.   

What system do you use to sanitize?     

Slev

Thabks for reply. Glad you got yours sorted. Can be a hard thing to decide to dump. think there may be an issue.
Usually use Milton , and rinse with boiled water, but this batch was my first time using star san. Used 10ml to 3 litres.
Not overly worried about contamination source, (if that is the issue) , which may sound odd, but i made a few mistakes which could be the problem. Enough mistakes that i know i wont repeat!(eg the hyrometer accidently fell into the chilled wort- still dont know how I did it, but it had been sitting in the pre boil sample beforehand, so considered it a low risk)
I will brew the small batch as a control. But was wondering if I made a mistake using too high a ebc malt. My water is pretty hard with high alkality (but very old water report) so I figured the extra ebc may be useful. But now wondering if should be carful of it.

delzep

10ml to 3 liters is twice the recommended dosage (1.6ml per litre is recommended)

molc

Have one fermenting at the moment in the ballpark of your recipe, in fact I have more dark malts. Sweetened espresso and milk chocolate with a roasted dry finish is what I pick up on with my samples, so def. Sounds like an infection. You say hydrometer was in the preboil sample. Was that taken from your mash? If so it's loaded with bacteria until you bring it to pasteurisation temperature, so that could easily be a source.

I think your on the right track to resolve. I'd say keep at least some and try in a month or two. If it's an infection it will just keeping getting more sour.
Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter

Slev

Thanks for the replies.
I would have taken the pre boil sample after i did the mash out (78c)  and removed the grain bag . but would have let the sample cool in the test tube with the hydrometer sitting in it.
But yep, was a bit complacent. Nothing like a ruined batch to help you improve!
Wrt 10ml sanstar in 3l, figured it would be OK, and no harm would be done.

Slev

Just an update. Left the stout in the fermenter for another week (usually leave for 3 weeks). Check the gravity, and it had sightly dropped. But it tasted good! Not sour at all. Must to my delight.
. Normally, when fermenting, I just leave it alone, check the temp, every so often, and look for bubbles in the first few days. But only taste, or take readings when ready to bottle (about 3 weeks) , so I wonder, if when I tasted it as been sour on day 10 , did I just catch it at a particular time in its conditioning that result in my tasting it as sour. (It did taste sour. Had the after taste for the whole evening after wards. Like buttermilk kind of sour ) . one for my own notes. (Note to self- don't trust self! It will be fine)
Anyway, brewed a small batch, which went smoothly. Will taste on day 10 for comparison.