• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 28, 2024, 06:24:26 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Cask Ale recipe advice

Started by DEMPSEY, May 25, 2016, 11:04:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DEMPSEY

I am looking to brew a cask IPA style soon and was considering an observation of how many commercial brewery's seem to adjust their recipe's between cask and keg, Jaipur for example. Looking for advice and opinion on building a nice recipe from anyone who likes their cask. You can of course help me drink it when its brewed too. :)
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

imark

Cask AIPA is just plain wrong imo. Are you looking for an English style IPA?

DEMPSEY

Can't beat "Fullers Bengal Lancer" so yes would be an answer. :)

Tom

Cask beer is delicious. It's the only way I serve my beer now.

Cask IPA is just a strong bitter, really. You can't go wrong with 90% pale, 5% crystal and 5% adjunct, with English hop additions at 60, 15 and 0. Don't use S04,use an interesting liquid yeast, mash at 65 or 66, with water that's nice and crisp, and not alkaliney.

I've a nice stout on cask at the minute but prefer bitters. Have you a beer engine?

DEMPSEY

I have a beer engine ok. Was going to use SO4 because of its ability to drop clear. What other cask style yeast would you recommend.

Tom

I used WLP013 London recently for a delicous (but slightly sweet) golden bitter. Cleared no problem. Try any of 'em. I'm just funny about S04.

pob

Something based on: Worthington White Shield, Fullers ESB, Black Sheep Riggwelter or Ale or slightly lighter bitter-like Timothy Taylor Landlord

WLP007 for a drier finish

Fresh, delicate, balanced cask can be great.

CC

Cask is your only man in my opinion...i'm a huge fan of those simple, perfectly balanced light yorkshire style ales... anything from theakstons is a nice way to spend some time!
re recipe i've just done a light ale, red ale IPA and stout with WL 0023 (burton trent yeast) and i wasn't that impressed. it doesn't clear very well and leaves a late palate taste that i'm not that fond of. it also produced fusels at 19c for the IPA which i've had to dump.
it's the dominant flavour in worthington's white shield so unless you love that beer i'd steer clear of it.

DEMPSEY

Tried a bottle of Worthington White Shield recently and while its a nice beer it would not be one of me top go to English ale's.

Doddybrewer

Lots of good advice on here already. Some points worth making /repeating.
If S-04 is not to your liking in an IPA what about S-05 or alternatively a mixture of 1/3 Windsor and 2/3 Nottingham.
You want to treat any alkalinity and go for mostly SO4 rather than Cl2 on any water treatment.
The malt grist - keep it simple no more than three malts with 85 to 90% pa.
The hops - this really depends what you are after - but more these days than 40 years ago and plenty of late additions.

Fatcontro11er

I also use a cask and beer engine and have  regularly put a clone-ish of sierra navada gthat way, it really is the best way to serve nearly any beer imo!
One of the best beers i can remember drinking was Yakima grande(formally west coast, Sierra Nevada
p.a.) which got me hooked on real ales and brewing!

phynes1

Just on the yeast for cask ales. I've used S04 for cask ales dispensed through my beer engine. I find due to the temperature the beer is served at combined with the residual sweetness from using S04; the beer becomes quite sickly and goes off quite quickly in the glass (within a few minutes). I moved to using Danstar Nottingham ale yeast for my cask ales and stouts, it dries the beer out more, as a result freshness has improved no-end.   

PH

Leann ull

Is that to do with attenuation?, I know it flocs well but every time I used it (twice at correct temp, it stalled), where did yours finish?
I bloody hate the stuff 

phynes1

From my experience S04 attenuates relatively low. I've never had it stall, but as expected it has finished with a pretty high SG.

I'll tell you one thing though, ive had it tear through 23l of 1.040 wort in 3 days flat. So its a handy yeast if you're looking to knock something out on the quick!

PH

Leann ull

Irish Ale is the same if you can keep it all in the bucket