• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 10:37:34 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Noob: Muntons American style IPA

Started by Dub in Lux, March 02, 2017, 10:25:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dub in Lux

First time poster, first time brewing.
Please help, and rate my chances of having something drinkable!?

I got the following Muntons kit. http://www.muntonshomebrew.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/150714-CRAFT_INSTRUCT_ALL_2015-1.compressed.pdf

After a few beers on Sunday I started to try and make this. I was rushed as the missus came in half way through.

Followed instructions until I put in the yeast, all seemed to be going well. I then put undiluted StarSan in the airlock as I read something somewhere. I hauled the lot upstairs 2 flights to the attic. There was some sloshing around, and the airlock was bubbling a bit. I left it three and a half days, and this morning noticed the fermentation/sloshing had caused a lot of the liquid to be expelled out of the airlock. Airlock could have been open a day or two. I topped up airlock with water this evening, but there is still pressure (fermentation?) pushing the water towards exit of airlock. I released pressure a few times and bunged in the Summit hops as per instructions.

I have a few concerns.

Airlock was potentially open for a day or two.
It's possible some pure Starsan could have dripped or vacuumed into the beer.
The crausen has brown lumps in it (infected or normal?)
I'm going away Sunday for 5ish days

It will be 11 days in the bucket by the time I get back. Plan is to Spraymalt in the bucket, and then bottle. No idea, when to do this however.

Thoughts, tips, pointers would be helpful!