• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 28, 2024, 09:49:37 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

2017 AJ GB Notes

Started by Will_D, November 04, 2017, 07:15:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will_D

Campden tabs are used to initially lower the pH in order to suppress the wild yeasts and other spores/fungi etc (which are less acid tolerant). The SO2  enventually leaves the cider and so the pH will rise. Malic acid is the naturally occuring acid in apples and so will lower the pH and affect the final flavour.  In the case of a Malolactic fermentation the Malic acid is converted into the softer/rounder flavoured lactic acid.
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

mick02

I'm starting to get complaints from the missus about the smell!

Fermenting with wild yeast and it is bubbling away nicely.
NHC Committee member

lordstilton

I had to move mine.. The divorce court was calling.. The entire house smelt of rotten eggs

cruiscinlan

Quote from: lordstilton on November 08, 2017, 02:03:37 PM
I had to move mine.. The divorce court was calling.. The entire house smelt of rotten eggs

I've never had this issue, first time I had a drum of AJ in 2014 I had it in me bedroom, never noticed anything.

mick02

I moved mine to the downstairs bathroom and am just blaming the smell on the kids.
NHC Committee member

willk

Quote from: lordstilton on November 08, 2017, 02:03:37 PM

It can be woeful.  Imagine 200 litres of the stuff in the hallway!  After blaming the cats for a few years, I had to create a warm environment in the shed for mine ;)

lyonsie

I rent a room out on air b&b there's scented candles lit everywhere at the minute. Theres a german guest staying at the moment, either she's very polite or she hasn't noticed yet.  ;D

Keg

Maybe it's my imagination but it seems worse than the past two years, the stink!

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

johnrm

Seems like your sense of smell is developing.
Next stop BJCP!

bighoppapump

So thought I would share my experience (as a newbie) with the fresh juice so far.

I added 15 campden tablets based on the PHs quoted here on the saturday the juice arrived. They were dissolved in about 300ml of cold tap water and mashed up with a sanitized pestle. I left this mixture for about 48 hours.

I then transferred this to a sanitized 30L plastic fermenting bin. I then stirred like a madman for ten minutes after hearing this was the best way to remove some of the sulphur from the campden tablets.

Next I added 5 tsp of nutrient and sprinked the nottingham yeast on top. The temp was a little low but I pitched the yeast anyways.

Today (10 days after pitching) I measured the gravity and it stands at about 1.002 and tastes very dry but fine. I'll leave it for another month or two and decide what to do with it next. I expected the gravity to drop a lot slower, has anyone else reached such a low gravity at this stage? Is it normal enough?

Cheers,
Phil

Water_Wolf

I've never used Nottingham yeast, but at room temperature, a week and a half sounds like a normal fermentation time. I used EC-1118 and it was down to 1.002 within about 6 days. I have it in carboys sitting on oak chips now.

mick02

I've had my drums stored in the utility room of my house since the 4th November. It's been cold enough in there especially during the night. I've taken the first gravity reading since I got the juice and it's currently sitting at 1018. I'm using wild yeast for fermentation. Anyone else seeing similar?
NHC Committee member

mr hoppy

Con Traas recommended letting the wild yeast do its thing and transferring to carboy or similar "before Christmas".

No need for testing gravity or any of that crack.  It'll go down to 998 or so in the end anyway.

He said he doesn't use metabisulfate at all, but he said that, if you are to do half the recommended amount when transfering.

That's what I've done every year, and I've been happy with the results when I didn't bugger something else up. Picked up juice last Saturday, left it in drum in cold shed and had active fermentation on Monday, only light sulphur (note that this was a different batch to the group buy.) Still bubbling away happily right now.

They say that farmers make wine and engineers make beer. I think cider is more like wine that way.

Will_D

November 19, 2017, 01:04:26 PM #28 Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 01:15:24 PM by Will_D
Just checked my drums,

Outside, natural yeasts, no nutrients.
Nice gentle bubbling

Currently 1.018 at 10C

Corrected that's 1.017

Slight note of sulphur (H2S)
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

oblivious

Quote from: Will_D on November 19, 2017, 01:04:26 PM
Slight note of sulphur (H2S)

Mine has a bit more than a slight note  :D :D :D