• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 29, 2024, 12:01:56 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Tasting Exam March 2019

Started by Partridge9, October 30, 2018, 09:02:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Partridge9

Folks just letting you know I got the 11 deposits so I am working away in the background getting it ready.
I was talking to Andrew and we are looking at the week before the exam for a sensory refresher and mock exam rolled into one.

I am away next friday for 10 days - so I will get everything finalised before I go.

Kellie

Hi All,
Just an add on here, but anyone interested in judging at the Nationals, a chance to start building those points up!

Saturday 23rd March in Urban Brewing

Please sign up, we'd love to have you on board!

Kellie

Will_D

Indeed Kellie!

It is a great way to get practice before the exam. If you are not yet qualified you would be paired up with an experienced judge.

Also as soon as you qualify as a BJCP judge you will get the points credired
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

Partridge9

Quote from: Kellie on February 07, 2019, 09:46:53 PM
Hi All,
Just an add on here, but anyone interested in judging at the Nationals, a chance to start building those points up!

Saturday 23rd March in Urban Brewing

Please sign up, we'd love to have you on board!

Kellie

Dont worry kellie - Im sure the exam candidates will oblige !  ;)

Andrew

Just a reminder- there will be a BJCP mock exam and sensory refresher on this Saturday, 2nd March. 10:45am for kick off at 11am in JW Sweetmans (top floor). Just reply to this and let me know if you are coming so I can notify Sweetmans
Andrew
@beoirfinder

pete.23

Nico02

Quote from: Andrew on February 25, 2019, 09:03:17 AM
Just a reminder- there will be a BJCP mock exam and sensory refresher on this Saturday, 2nd March. 10:45am for kick off at 11am in JW Sweetmans (top floor). Just reply to this and let me know if you are coming so I can notify Sweetmans

1. Peter Town (Pete.23)
2. Nicolas COitino (Nico02)

How long would it be the mock exam? I can make it till 12:30ish. Have to work at 13:00

Partridge9

SlugTrap

Just want to clarify the format:

We are told the style of each sample but do not have access to the style guidelines - is that correct?

pob

Quote from: SlugTrap on March 06, 2019, 01:12:17 PM
Just want to clarify the format:

We are told the style of each sample but do not have access to the style guidelines - is that correct?
Yes.

Actually, you are told the beer has been entered as that style, you are to judge it as that style; it potentially may have been entered into the incorrect style/category.

CH

And so if I start rambling in the exam it's only into my earpiece to a mate outside with the style guidelines

Qs

I'll have to spend Friday night scribbling the full style guide onto my arm.

Partridge9

March 07, 2019, 11:22:36 AM #43 Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 11:33:09 AM by Partridge9
There are no aids... no phones or printed guidelines..

You will get 6 exam sheets and a pencil & rubber, water and a spare glass (but you can bring your own pencil if you prefer)

There will be a small chat about the format and the beer will poured into glasses (out of sight)

You will get your first glass and told the style its entered it.. and the clock starts...

Then Every 15 mins - regardless of your progress -

You get a fresh glass of beers and and you are informed of the style (empties removed)

So glass at 11:00/11:15/11:30/11:45/12:00/12:15

You can imagine, if you fall behind - it will all go to shit.. as you have glasses with beer that can get mixed up.

at exactly 12:30 your sheet will be taken off you.

We will hide the beers so you wont know if its homebrew or commerical and you are expected to judge it like they are all homebrews...

The format is pretty straightforward, and the first couple of beers are usually a doddle... but as you progress that 15 minutes seems to be getting shorter and shorter... so practice like its 11 or 12 minutes TOPs

That would be my advice

Good Luck !

Partridge9

Folks -
We have been instructed to say - no writing in the margins and sample size is roughly 100 ml

James