• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 28, 2024, 11:26:07 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Midlands Brewers Present “Lazy Summer Dayz” Summer session style Home-Brew Comp.

Started by benji, February 12, 2019, 09:50:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

helmet

Only one of mine was actually filled out with an overall score, one just had a general comment and one filled out half of the score fields and didn't give an overall score. All 3 identified the beer as a Belgian pale ale, which isn't what I entered.

benji

Quote from: helmet on June 12, 2019, 03:23:32 PM
Only one of mine was actually filled out with an overall score, one just had a general comment and one filled out half of the score fields and didn't give an overall score. All 3 identified the beer as a Belgian pale ale, which isn't what I entered.

It was a blind tasting, they just commented on what they thought it was. Again apologies for the judges not filling out the sheets as instructed but there is not much I can do about it now. I will try to be more strict with if/when we do another competition
Tapped: Brown Porter, Dortmunder, Rye IPA
Bottled: Barrel RIS, Barrel Red Flanders, Oatmeal Stout
Fermenting: Barrel triple, NEIPA
Planned: Pilsner, Hazy Pale Ale, something Belgian

Jonnycheech

BJCP ain't perfect but it certainly has its merits when it comes to scoring and giving feedback in a comp
Tapped: FES, NEIPA, CocoIMS, Flanders 2018, Passion Fruit/Peach BW
Fermentors: Raspberry Wheat, Session IPA
Bottled: Cherry Lambic 2019

TheSumOfAllBeers

The BJCP trainees are instructed to fill out all blank space, and there is a lot of tip sharing for when writers block sets in (such as partway through a flight of low 30 pale ales).

You can always tell when you are getting bjcp feedback and when you are getting vip judge feedback

benji

Literally ever other competition by any other club in Ireland is BJCP. This is our 4th year in a row to do a competition and we have never done BJCP and never will. This is what makes us a little different.

It was clearly stated that this wouldn't be at the start of the competition. If you beer only had 2-4 score sheets and low remarks it's because it didn't make it to the second round (6 beers out of 22 made it through to the second round).

I can't tell you how much time I spent on this competition between liaising with Wide Street Brewing, Dead Centre Brewing , the HomeBrew company and Kellie (who were all brilliant and their help greatly appreciated). Not to mentions driving to the Homebrew Company shop, Dublin and all over the midlands to pick up entries.

No much point cribbing a month after the fact either, funnily enough the winners are very happy.

Next years competition will be ran broadly the same IF we run another one. So ya'll know what to expect. Peace out

Jonnycheech

Nobody's doubting the effort you put in man! By the sounds of it you probably think we're being ungrateful, it's not like that.

It's just that when you are expecting to receive feedback as a comp entrant, it can be a bit disappointing to receive partly filled in scoresheets with no comments. I personally had 7 scoresheets, 4 were completed fully and 3 were not. The 4 that were completed were great, i just don't understand why some judges put down a score for some of the areas and then didn't for others. If that's because the beer made it to a second round or something, and the scoresheets were only partly being completed at that point, i can understand that, but that's not clear when you receive the scoresheets.

The BJCP comment was not made in an effort to change your comp structure, keep doing what you're doing! The marking of the scoresheets could be improved, that's all. It's constructive criticism for next year  ;)

Peace out Napoleon!
Tapped: FES, NEIPA, CocoIMS, Flanders 2018, Passion Fruit/Peach BW
Fermentors: Raspberry Wheat, Session IPA
Bottled: Cherry Lambic 2019

benji

Fair enough but I think the issue here is the lack of comments from the judges which is a fair comment. If they used the BJCP form we would have the same issue so I just though it bit odd that you would bring BJCP into.

I will try to get the judges to give more feedback next year

TheSumOfAllBeers

Quote from: benji on June 30, 2019, 07:54:11 PM
Fair enough but I think the issue here is the lack of comments from the judges which is a fair comment. If they used the BJCP form we would have the same issue so I just though it bit odd that you would bring BJCP into.

The BJCP comment refers to the training that BJCP judges receive. Part of that is to fill all the space on the feedback form which is drilled into them, and the techniques to assist you in filling out the space when you are genuinely stuck.

People who don't receive this training will struggle, especially when you are halfway through a flight of low-30 pale ales.

If you are promising entrants feedback, ensure that you deliver it.

If you cannot guarantee a good minimum standard of feedback, just don't offer it and be a prize only/no feedback competition. Nothing wrong with that, but the number of entrants is a lot lower for those comps.

benji

Quote from: TheSumOfAllBeers on July 01, 2019, 12:23:00 PM
Quote from: benji on June 30, 2019, 07:54:11 PM

The BJCP comment refers to the training that BJCP judges receive. Part of that is to fill all the space on the feedback form which is drilled into them, and the techniques to assist you in filling out the space when you are genuinely stuck.

People who don't receive this training will struggle, especially when you are halfway through a flight of low-30 pale ales.

If you are promising entrants feedback, ensure that you deliver it.

If you cannot guarantee a good minimum standard of feedback, just don't offer it and be a prize only/no feedback competition. Nothing wrong with that, but the number of entrants is a lot lower for those comps.

Every body got feedback though, admittedly some was less than desired. In any case I will take all on board for next year

fishjam45 (Colin)

So I got to brew my winning beer down in Wide Street with Sean last week, all going well it'll be on tap in Dead Centre soon and I will be down to have a taste.  I just wanted to say a big thanks to all involved in organising this competition and the prizes involved too - I had a great day out.

Thanks,
Colin

Garden County Brewers

https://gcbrewers.wordpress.com/