• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 28, 2024, 01:32:21 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Cloudy beer

Started by Robbiedrog, July 16, 2020, 06:29:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robbiedrog

Hi All, wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction to why my beer is so cloudy. I done a mangrove jacks pilsner extract kit using brewing sugar, all went very well and as it normally would with any of the extract kits. I usually bottle my beers but I recently upgraded to corny kegs and it's very cloudy, nearly milky like. I've sanitised everything very well and syphoned the beer into the corny kegs leaving a nice bitta space at the top , I then pressured the keg to 3 bar for 3 days at room temperature (18 degrees). I then placed the keg in a fridge for 5 days, then today I tried the beer but before I removed the pressure (by pressure release valve) from the keg and repressured the keg to 0.7bar to serve. Taste is not bad, maybe needs more carbonation and head retention is perfect. There is a bit of a taste of yeast but not over powering, is it the yeast and needs more time to settle? Any advice welcome.

Rob

pob

Usually the first 1-2 pints will be a bit cloudy; keg is similar to a very big bottle with the yeast settled at the bottom.

It will take a few pours to clear it as the pickup tube clears space through the settled yeast.

With a Pilsner, a few weeks in the fridge will help too as it 'lagers', cleans itself up & conditions.