• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 28, 2024, 07:43:21 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Hop Poles

Started by Ale Man, April 21, 2013, 11:26:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ale Man

Time to give the hops something to climb, I had one last year with good sucess, I was able to harvest the different hops at different times. The one shown is one piece as it's my own but I supply them in three parts for shipping, each will support at least 8 plants. This year I'm using plastic rope 12mm dia, I could not find a heavy enough natural rope locally. now the hops have 20' to climb and prosper.

€80 incl Vat and €10 to ship

brenmurph

nice post,,  useful info!

Metattron

Hi Ale Man, what are the poles made of and how are they fixed to the ground?  Can it be easily taken down again?
In primary:
In secondary: Wine, Melomel
In keg: Teddy Hopper, Coconut stout, 4 Cs, Buzz bomb, Never Sierra, Bock, OD
In the fridge: Helles Lager, Hob Gob

Ale Man

42mm OD Galv pipe, you dig a hole and pop in a bit of concrete, if you want to take down the last section place a plastic pipe over it before it goes in concrete, and yes, "it comes in three sections"

Quote from: Metattron on April 21, 2013, 03:22:16 PM
Hi Ale Man, what are the poles made of and how are they fixed to the ground?  Can it be easily taken down again?

LordEoin

Are pots included? If not, what size pots are required to avoid the roots becoming potbound?

Eoin

Quote from: LordEoin on April 22, 2013, 04:43:16 AM
Are pots included? If not, what size pots are required to avoid the roots becoming potbound?

It'd be very hard to say that before you've grown them, the general rule is to allow as much space below a plant as you can see above it, plants tend to mirror the amount of their above ground parts below ground.

Ale Man

And I have no cortinas  ;) I left mine mobile because I want to build another shed on that space, the pots they are in are 100ltr or half a 205ltr drum, a lad can't have enough sheds but this one is brewing only  :)

So as the lads said, shtick 'em in the ground with plenty of well rotted manure.

Quote from: Tube on April 22, 2013, 02:57:17 PM
Quote from: LordEoin on April 22, 2013, 04:43:16 AM
A pot the size of a Ford Cortina would probably do, otherwise they need to go in the ground! ;)

Metattron

Finally got round to putting up my hop pole.  Only used two sections as it is huge!  Hopefully get a crop this year.
In primary:
In secondary: Wine, Melomel
In keg: Teddy Hopper, Coconut stout, 4 Cs, Buzz bomb, Never Sierra, Bock, OD
In the fridge: Helles Lager, Hob Gob

Ale Man

8) You'll use it next year, good job for the money aren't they. Nice photo