• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 01:15:23 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

South Dublin Brewers Tasting - Monday 17th June

Started by Bubbles, May 08, 2013, 12:28:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John_C

1. Bubbles - Imperial Amber, IPA
2. Ronanc89
3. Shanna - hope to have a what beer
4. Tube
5. Simonc2102
6. Brewtus
7. Padraic (Not so Irish Red or APA)
8. John C - A dodgy ale

I'll be out at around half nine or ten. My latest beer has a very strong off flavour. I thing it's this one from the tasting last year http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.com/wiki/doku.php?id=off_flavours#ethyl_acetate but I'll bring it along for diagnosis and second opinions.

Bubbles

No problems John, we'll do our best to diagnose it for you.

beerfly

going to pop out my self, have one that could do with a bit of a diagnosis too.  nothing bad more of a grain/hop balance issue mostly on the hop side id say

Bubbles

Great stuff. See you all around 7:30 lads. Pint of Voager to start off with, I think...  8)

Rossa

Might pop out also. Ribs are not up to working tonight.

Padraic

Sorry lads I won't be making it out either!

But if ye have some spare off flavour beers, I'd like to add them to my BJCP course! (Or any other beers!)

beerfly

for the lads who missed out i present "The cascadientm experiment"

Bubbles showing a complete disregard for the sanity of the people at the table proceded to go all mad scientist

Cascadien 1 by zapmatic, on Flickr

cascadien 2 by zapmatic, on Flickr

Cascadien 3 by zapmatic, on Flickr

It was definatly a unique experience that did not turn out like anyone expected :P but we did lean a valuable lesson, dont add hops to a beer just before you drink it unless your crazy about cabbage

DEMPSEY

I Luv the experiment, however I do think you need heat to get some of the nicey's out of hops ;D
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

Bubbles

Quote from: beerfly on June 18, 2013, 11:11:16 PMbut we did learn a valuable lesson

Yeah. Don't drink Heineken...

I think the cabbage flavour was the best thing about it, to be honest. If you took the cabbage away, there'd be nothing else there...  :)

Bubbles

Quote from: DEMPSEY on June 18, 2013, 11:23:18 PM
I Luv the experiment, however I do think you need heat to get some of the nicey's out of hops ;D

We did consider heating it up. Someone also suggested steeping some crystal malt in it. ;)

To be honest, it didn't help that in addition to tasting cabbagey it was also flat as a witch's proverbial. Not what you want in a lager..

John_C

Quote from: Padraic on June 17, 2013, 07:26:12 PM

But if ye have some spare off flavour beers, I'd like to add them to my BJCP course! (Or any other beers!)
I'll bottle a few up and get them to you. How many do you want, I'm planning on dumping the keg in the next day or two?

Just a word of warning, they won't provide much of a challenge to the students. The off flavour is very strong.

Padraic

Quote from: John_C on June 19, 2013, 10:27:41 AM
Quote from: Padraic on June 17, 2013, 07:26:12 PM

I'll bottle a few up and get them to you. How many do you want, I'm planning on dumping the keg in the next day or two?

Just a word of warning, they won't provide much of a challenge to the students. The off flavour is very strong.

What off flavour is it? I'll take 2-3 litre's if you haven't dumped it yet!

beerfly

Bubbles

I found it strongly acetic, but everyone's tastebuds are different.

John_C

I'll bottle some up anyway and get it to you.