• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 08:37:09 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

South Dublin Brewers - "Summer Session Beers" Competition?

Started by Bubbles, July 19, 2013, 01:48:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bubbles

Hi lads,

I'm not sure if there is enough members at this stage to even consider running a "South Dublin Brewers" heat of the forthcoming NHC "Summer Session Beers" competition. But I thought I'd ask anyway. (Those of you who think strategically might want to enter a club competition that's less subscribed than other clubs, eh?? ;) )

I'll suggest club competition judging on Tuesday 17th September; if there's no interest we can just do the regular meetup on the same date.

Please note that you have to be a paid-up member to participate in this competition. See this thread for details. If you're interested, just put your name on the list below.

Cheers,
Conor.

David

Had a chance to brew yesterday so I decided to take a stab at this. Hopefully it will be ready in time.
Anyone else having a go.
Just hope I can make the meet and its up to standard tasting like a summer breeze

1. David - Summer Breeze

Shanna

Quote from: David on August 16, 2013, 08:09:06 PM
Had a chance to brew yesterday so I decided to take a stab at this. Hopefully it will be ready in time.
Anyone else having a go.
Just hope I can make the meet and its up to standard tasting like a summer breeze

1. David - Summer Breeze
2. Shanna - lime weiss beer
Cornie keg group buy organiser, storeman & distribution point
Hops Group buy packer
Regulator & Taps distribution point
Stainless Steel Fermenter Group Buy Organiser
South Dublin Brewers member

Bubbles

Lads, as expected, it doesn't look like there's enough interest to run with this. It might be better if you approach one of the other Dublin clubs and submit your entry through them?

David

I'll see how it turns out first not expecting great things as no way to keep temp down.
I had used dried elder flower but could not detect any flavour from them before secondary so split beer between 3 demijohn Approx 3.5 litre's each left 1 unchanged, dry hopped 1 with lemon zest and the third put in extra elder flower.

More interested in feed back at the moment than competition.
Hope to see everyone Thursday

Ciderhead

If you have 2 entries and they are drinkable surely just submit them?

TT

Bubbles

Yeah, I don't see why not. Bring em along to next months meet anwyay lads and we'll get a taste.

Ciderhead

Quote from: Bubbles on August 28, 2013, 04:33:41 PM
Yeah, I don't see why not. Bring em along to next months meet anwyay lads and we'll get a taste.

sorry to hijack your thread chaps, if its not a bjcp style what are you folks gonna mark it to?, I ask as we now looks as if we may have more than 2 entry in wicklow  ;D (dammit I thought I was a shoe in!)

Bubbles

Not a problem CH. The beers can still be marked using the BJCP scoresheet as it provides a good guideline.

However, I do still think that there should be a competitive element and less subscribed club competitions should merge and make it a bit more sporting.

I'd be up for a South Dublin Brewers road trip to Bray, even though I have nothing to enter myself. :)

Ciderhead

excellent you could be our judge :-)
pints of your choice to take the taste away afterwards :)

Bubbles

I'll chip in with a bit of judging if required, certainly! I'm not BJCP qualified though..  :(

I'm actually surprised that the competition is not being run strictly along BJCP lines in order to build experience and gain credits for our novice judges. Anyone know why this is so?

Bubbles

David, Shanna, any interest in a road trip to Bray to get these beers judged? If not, we'll just do a regular monthly meet in the DH as usual. Let me know.

Rossa

Quote from: Bubbles on August 29, 2013, 11:43:29 AM
I'm actually surprised that the competition is not being run strictly along BJCP lines in order to build experience and gain credits for our novice judges. Anyone know why this is so?

No straight jackets for this one although it will be marked to the brief. To be creative and learn to hit the numbers was my thinking.

Shanna

Do you have a night yet?

Shanna

Quote from: Bubbles on September 09, 2013, 02:07:53 PM
David, Shanna, any interest in a road trip to Bray to get these beers judged? If not, we'll just do a regular monthly meet in the DH as usual. Let me know.
Cornie keg group buy organiser, storeman & distribution point
Hops Group buy packer
Regulator & Taps distribution point
Stainless Steel Fermenter Group Buy Organiser
South Dublin Brewers member

Bubbles

Quote from: Shanna on September 09, 2013, 07:52:53 PM
Do you have a night yet?

Shanna

Quote from: Bubbles on September 09, 2013, 02:07:53 PM

Nope, up to the Garden County boys to decide this. I think we'll plough ahead with plans for a September meet in any case. Just about to post a new thread.