• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 06:49:39 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

South Dublin Brewers Tasting - Thursday 29th August

Started by Bubbles, August 09, 2013, 03:21:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ciderhead

Thanks for the invite but RDS is using NHC timeslot allocation for September.

We have many members that are not part of the NHC but Thomo is on here :o

Bubbles

Shanna, I took the liberty of removing the barrel sample from your list of beers below, as we will be leaving it until more of the barrel contributors can attend.

All this talk of barrel stout led me last night to crack open an RIS I did back in March. I was going to leave it until October before sampling, but it's drinking very well, so I'm going to bring along a bottle of that too..

1. Bubbles - American Amber, Little Imperial Stout
2. vonHolt - Honey Ale
3. David - Black Tsunami Port
4. Cannobi1
5. Shanna - "Danger" Ginger beer, Scotch "Oxy" Ale

Bubbles

Just a reminder on this tomorrow night lads. See you around 8.

Bubbles

Great laugh last night lads and some tasty beers as always.

I'll do the write-up over the weekend hopefully and post it next week.

Expect some tales about Shanna's allegedly "under-carbed" scotch ale! Can we ever believe a thing he says again?!?  ;D

Shanna

Now you're just being a "Bollix" as they say in Limerick  :D

Just for the record I have a beer that is carbonated when enclosed in the bottle but the Co2 does a Harry Houdini as soon as the beer is poured.  Within 30 seconds all of the gas disappears.

Shanna

PS: will your next beer have 1 gram, a pound,  a kilo or a stone of hops in it?
Quote from: Bubbles on August 30, 2013, 01:15:37 PM
Great laugh last night lads and some tasty beers as always.

I'll do the write-up over the weekend hopefully and post it next week.

Expect some tales about Shanna's allegedly "under-carbed" scotch ale! Can we ever believe a thing he says again?!?  ;D
Cornie keg group buy organiser, storeman & distribution point
Hops Group buy packer
Regulator & Taps distribution point
Stainless Steel Fermenter Group Buy Organiser
South Dublin Brewers member

Bubbles

Quote from: Shanna on August 30, 2013, 09:09:16 PM

8)

A lot of people in the pub thought there was a bottle of champers being opened!  :D

Oh, now that's fighting talk boy! Leave the hops out of it. Or I might have to spill your little secret to the wider NHC community!! (Hint: gloves??  ;) ;) ;)  ;D ;D )

Shanna

Shish CH may be listening and would not want my post moved to the joke thread  :P my dirty secret stays secret or next time you won't get to see the full length ones!!!

By the way Edyta asked me again about the donation and I assured her your good for it (I think! )

Shanna

Quote from: Bubbles on August 31, 2013, 01:54:40 PM

8)

A lot of people in the pub thought there was a bottle of champers being opened!  :D

Oh, now that's fighting talk boy! Leave the hops out of it. Or I might have to spill your little secret to the wider NHC community!! (Hint: gloves??  ;) ;) ;)  ;D ;D )
Hops Group buy packer

Bubbles

Quote from: Shanna on August 31, 2013, 02:13:57 PMShish CH may be listening and would not want my post moved to the joke thread  :P my dirty secret stays secret or next time you won't get to see the full length ones!!!

8) You know it'll come out eventually... if anyone wants to know know Shanna's dirty little homebrewing secret, just buy me a beer in the RDS next week...  ;) ;D

Quote from: Shanna on August 31, 2013, 02:13:57 PMBy the way Edyta asked me again about the donation and I assured her your good for it (I think! )

Damn! I thought you'd forgotten about that! Only kidding dude, completely slipped my mind after the meet during the week. It might have been the copious amounts of ale consumed. How about I drop that up to you during the week. Could I bring the boiler up to you at the same time? (hey, there's no such thing as a free lunch..  ;D )

Shanna

Now going to go completely off topic but was picking 1st year hops from a Hall mittlegruh plant I got from Will D andI think you would love it. Not a tomcat in sight but god they sink  8)

Shanna
Hops Group buy packer

Shanna

Conor

Sure let me know earlier in in the day if your going to call around. Might rope you into do some night time hop picking as well. Just no sniffing the bag as you go.  Fuggles and East Kent Holdings are yet to be done.  Make sure you have the silicon tray cbefore you come up.

Maybe we can talk to the neighbour about the old extinguishers he has.

Shanna

Damn! I thought you'd forgotten about that! Only kidding dude, completely slipped my mind after the meet during the week. It might have been the copious amounts of ale consumed. How about I drop that up to you during the week. Could I bring the boiler up to you at the same time? (hey, there's no such thing as a free lunch..  ;D )
Hops Group buy packer

Ciderhead

You fellas need a chat room

Large numbers of wasps this year, especially at the moment.
Just removed 1 medium size and 1 monster size wasps nest in timber in the back of JimmyM's,
Dress yourself up like kenny from sound park and safety goggles if you have them, use gloves 2 cans of Raid start on the outside, kills on contact even flying, don't spray into the wind, pull back the undergrowth to expose the nest with a long rake at the same time spraying
Foraging wasps will return back, let them settle and repeat until all are dead.
If they are in a hole in the wall spray early in the morning or just at dusk so you don't have as many foraging wasps annoying you

I hate them as they steal honey from my bees, however wasps are also important for killing aphids, something to bear in mind for hop growers.

Will_D

Quote from: Ciderhead on September 01, 2013, 02:28:23 PM
I hate them as they steal honey from my bees, however wasps are also important for killing aphids, something to bear in mind for hop growers.
Kill the wasps, then the lady birds will have less competion !

Ladybirds have the best PR agency in the insect world!

The wasps are eating most of my figs >:(
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

Ciderhead

That would of cost you, they will come back every year unless you seal the point of entry and remove all traces

TT

Shanna

Just an update on my ginger beer. The problem with the gravity readings being both below and above expected amounts were traced to a dodgy kitchen scales that alternately under/over reported the weight of whatever was placed on it. Kind of hard to hit a proper gravity reading when you're weight is just plain wrong.

Shanna
Hops Group buy packer