• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 29, 2024, 01:09:22 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

[Review] Schneider Weisse Tap 7

Started by irish_goat, August 19, 2013, 12:53:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

irish_goat

August 19, 2013, 12:53:44 PM Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 01:25:37 PM by Il Tubo
Name: Schneider Weisse Tap 7
Made by: Schneider Weisse Brewery, Kelheim, Bavaria, Germany.
5.4%
500ml bottles
Available nationwide in top off licenses.

Brewed according to the original recipe of the founder of the brewery of 1872 Schneider Weisse Tap 7 is referred to as "our original" despite being given the number 7. It pours a darker, more copper colour that your average wheat beer but still with the characteristic dense foamy head one would expect of a Bavarian Weisse.  On the nose there is an abundance of everything we either love or hate in a hefeweizen; banana esters, clove, spice, malt and bread all mingled together. The taste brings out more clove and bubblegum flavours with the banana taking on a more subtle role. Full bodied mouthfeel and lots of carbonation make this a perfect summer beer and far too quaffable for 5.4% alcohol. For me, this is the best example of the style currently available in Ireland. In my days working in the Bull and Castle anyone asking for a recommendation of a good wheat beer was nearly always asked "have you tried Tap 7?".

Luckily for homebrewers, Schneider Weisse publish the ingredients list of Tap 7 on their Bräuhaus menu in Munich (well worth a visit if you're ever in Munich). I've included a photo of the menu and found a translation online.

QuoteTranslated, this is:

We require the following ingredients to make 1 litre of Schneider Weisse
1.0 litres of brew water
plus 4.3 litres of dishwater (???) (assuming it's meant to say 'sparge water')
108 g wheat
72 g barley
2 g roasted malt
0.7 g hops [the picture appears to say 0.07g, but the recipe uses 0.7g]
4 g top fermenting yeast
and of course time to mature

For a 23 litre recipe, that's approximately:

23 litres of water
2.5kg of wheat
1.65kg of barley
50g of roasted malt
16g of hops [Hallertau]
75 grams of top fermenting yeast
and of course time to mature [they do 4 days of primary and then 14 days in the bottle

Schneider Weisse are one of the few German wheat breweries to use their original yeast strain in the bottle (a lot use a bottling strain or even just a cosmetic one). You can culture up the yeast from a couple of bottles of Tap 7 or you can use WLP300 yeast instead.

Prost!

sub82

It's a great beer - always on my Xmas list!