• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 29, 2024, 02:29:17 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

south kildare Brewhouse and clubhouse First Test Brew completed lastnight

Started by brenmurph, October 23, 2013, 07:51:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brenmurph

Been busy since the last update. Building finished but plenty on the snags list that we were working on. Still a couple electrical bits e.g the kettle boil controller socket. All will be explained if you get down the weekend launch.
We made a simple beer to get the brewery up and running to highlight any issues; apart from some minor detail the mash went really well with a 70% efficiency using  choc malt in the Scottish 80 shilling. The pumps and controller worked like a dream and everything was completed in reasonable time ALL in THE same building while it pissed rain all night. The conical is fermenting away this morning with the Mauribrew lager yeast fermenting at 18c to give a slight fruityness to the single hop & malty, Scottish beer.

Two more brews to do this week, well definatly Sunday brewday and hopefully Monday as well so get over to Kildare brew weekend and join in the passions for all things beer with us

Dunkel

I suppose this is a kind of review. This was my first (and definitely not last) visit to the heart of the South Kildare group. Brenmurph has set up the exemplary version of a nanobrewery; all-grain, biab, conical fermenter. With a tasting room attached. However, this is not the best part of the brewday. The incredible generosity of Kellie and Brendan makes for a memorable visit. Meself and Mrs. Dunkel arrived on Sunday noonish, and soon got down to brewing a spiced Schwarzbier. I hadn't realised that also there would be Saruman and Mrs, Beerfly and BrewDiva, as well as various friends and relatives of the Murphys. Think you need an extension on the brewery, Brendan!  :P A very relaxed brewday followed, complete with samples of at least eight different beers. So well happy by the time the yeast was pitched. Then the difference between this and other (e.g. TOG) brewdays transpired. A magnificent spread was spread out and consumed by us hungry brewers (well, we had been working all day  ;) ), and then the party started. Between Brendan's beers and Kellie's wines, I don't remember too much except a very enjoyable night, and then staggering about 25 yards to the tent, camped inside the polytunnel; so no worries about rain. After an enormous breakfast to follow today, and another (Pumpkin Ale) brew started, had to come back to the ol' smoke.
But if there is anyone thinking about visiting Kellie and Brenmurph for a brewday, imho, don't hesitate - it's great craic!  :D

Saruman (Reuben Gray)

Reuben Gray

The Tale of the Ale - My blog about beer

beerfly

Have to echo everything Dunkel said, it was an amazing day.  Surprised how many people fitted in the man cave without it feeling too crowded.
It's a great little setup you have there Bren

gonky

Was indeed a great weekend as always, great beer, wine, food and most of all great company. Was great to meet Mr and Mrs Dunkel too. Hopefully we will all get together soon for tasting the new brews that were done  :D

brenmurph

reporting on our brew weekend beer number 1 Pumpkin ale  spiced schwartzbier report to follow

just reportin on the Monday BH pumpkin ale first. Pic below as well :) Brewed with rueben & hillary and input from a few others.

its finished after 8 days in primary. final gravity 1008 making 25 litres of 7.2% ale.
Ciderhead had a taste this evenin liked the aroma picked up the alc instantly.

Malty, moderatly bitter and spicy for sure. Warmth is defo there as a winter ale.
Ive bottled 4 x 750 mls and can take one up to test at the bjcp day on the 16th
Ive got 23 litres safe in my tall ss corny and we can decide what to do either:

1... dilute it a bit with RO water ( it is full flavoured)
2... leave as is and enjoy a 7.2% winter ale

For now it will sit at 18 c for another week to finish completly then off to the kegerator. Shoulnt have any issues with shelf life as its well hopped and high alc.
Personally I may just enjoy the 7.2%  ( we originally planned 5.5%) but got a great efficiency on the day and fermented a tad lower than the expected 1010 Fg.

Pic shows taster beer sitting at room temp for 10 minutes and another glass alongside with some lacing. Always nice to see head retention on a strong ale..dosnt always happen :) ;) this brew is looking and tasting excellent
report on our schwarzbier to follow

Dunkel

Heard you had a long day brewing this one. Looking forward to trying both this and the schwarzbier!  :D

brenmurph

ye we had a collapse of the false bottom...prob sorted...wont occur again,  we just overloaded it with 8kg grain and a couple more pumpkin... :) ;) :D ;D ( wasnt funny at the time).  but its all worked out on the day. potentially lovely ale.  Ill be kegging & bottling the schwartz tomora but it was sampled by a few tonight, delightful needs a 6 week maturation and will be a cracker for sure.
Roll on New year... spicy schwartz....spicy pumpkin /// winter ale & winter lager what great ideas ye came up with on the brew weekend. The flavour complexity of the pumpkin ale is very interesting to say the least :)