• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
May 06, 2024, 12:53:27 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Trying to cheat at Framboise - would this work?

Started by admin, December 05, 2013, 08:47:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

admin

Do a 66% lager 33% wheat malt mash and get my usual 22L of wort.

Let the wort cool to 50oC. Add 500g of uncrushed barley to infect it and leave sit for 18 hours wrapped up.

Skim off the shite off the stop and drain into the kettle and boil for 90 mins, adding 25g old hops at 60 and 30. Ferment using Notty (cos I have it handy) until it drops to 1.012 or so, and then add 2Kg of pasteurised rasperries and leave for a month.

Rack and age for 3 months. Serve highly carbonated.

delzep

imark

Its basically going to be a beer with raspberry in it though. I don't think it'll deliver the lambic quality your after unless you ferment it in an infected bucket. Even then expecting to develop much lambic character in a month is unrealistic I reckon.

Eoin

Yeah, I think you'll end up with something more like a Frueli than a framboise.

imark

Sour maybe but not dry. And the boil will obviously stop any infection you'll have picked up. So all your dryness will come from Notty alone.

You could experiment and it may be satisfactory tho. But It aint going to be a lambic type framboise. I think you should give it a go on a small batch.

Will_D

If in doubt do it I say!

You'll probably end up with something interesting at least.

Why not just do a small batch in a demi-john or two?

If you do a big mash:

Try different infection regimes: pre boil  as per yor recipe and also try a post boil?

Different time lines!

At least DJs should be easiliy sanitized after this unlike plastic :)

I assume you know someone who cornered the market in SH DJs there a while back ;)
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

imark

mr hoppy

There's 2 ways of souring a beer - sour first, ferment later and ferment first, sour later. The first is typical of German sours like gose and berliner weisse, the second is more typical of lambics and flemish browns/reds.

You can definitely turn a beer around faster the first way - but aging helps as well. Also, because you are primarily relying on lacto to sour the sourness is cleaner and not so funky. However, sour mashing can be hit and miss.

You should definitely read this Berliner Weisse thread on Northern Brewer before doing a sour mash. There's similar stories from commercial brewers in Stan Hieronymus's Wheat book - and don't get me wrong I'm not saying it never works, just that a vial of commercial lacto from White Labs is a safer option:

http://forum.northernbrewer.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=43587&sid=586b336450a42d56a096f2a185d63415

Quotewow am I in trouble..boiled this up today...omg..the entire apartment smells like sour milk/funky cheese...my wife hates me,,,she came home from work, gagged,ran in the bathroom, almost threw up, and turned around and went to my parents house. she comes home 2 hours later,im done brewing, boiled some cinn and cloves on the stove and lit some candles,,thought it was ok. took her out to dinner to make ammends,,come back smell is everywhere..it is now 1 am,,she cant sleep, still feels sick..i just got back from the store..spraying lysol, cleaned every floor with pinesol...took the clothes i was wearing and the two throw rugs that could have gotten drops of the sourmash on it and put them outside in a bag....wow,,i hope it didnt migrate upstairs to the landlords appartment. this is a pretty big apartment and its everywhere....windows are all open, fans in them. ahhhhhh

anyway,,the wort did smell and taste great, very berlinerweissish. good tartness...hit my target og right on. thanks for the help with that 

im assuming ive boiled away all of that smell, should i expect any foul smell during fermentation?

i went from so excited about brewing this to feeling like total crap because of my wifes scorn   
she knows nothing of brewing but her i told you sos are killing me on this one.

I did a gose over the summer that worked well (first HB my wife actually liked after more than sixty batches). But I used WLP 677 which is a special "wimpy" lacto designed not to infect your brew house.

http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.com/forum/index.php/topic,2329.0.html

With those caveats, I'd say go for it - I'd also use flaked wheat instead of wheat malt (tarter) and expect something like a tart to sour fruited witbier rather than a full on lambic.

mr hoppy

Also, because of the simple sugars beer with real fruit added is dry as f@ck just like cider - and can be similarly back sweetened with artifical sweeteners.

mr hoppy

If you're going with the sour mash the main thing is keep it away from oxygen.

mr hoppy

imark

imark

;D When you say bad....can you elaborate? yoghurt/arse/etc?
Quote from: iTube on December 06, 2013, 12:35:41 PM
Stinks, and tastes bad, but it could be worse so I'll leave it till dinner time.

Ciderhead

Watching this thread with curiosity and interest as Mr H said earlier this is a bloody hard style to do. It could be worse you could have 225l of it ???

beerfly

Quote from: imark on December 06, 2013, 01:04:26 PM
;D When you say bad....can you elaborate? yoghurt/arse/etc?

i dont want to know what kind of research you were doing  ???