• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 29, 2024, 12:42:07 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

CB "Brewovision" Summer Session Beer Competition

Started by Hingo, March 26, 2014, 08:04:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hingo

On advise from Shiny, I've started this Thread for "Brewovision" - Capital Brewers Beer Contest to select brews for the Summer Session Beer Club Competition. Given the format of the contest, I thought Brewovision was a good name!

The beers will be decided by all at the May Club Meetup so plenty of time to get a good low ABV % brew ready. Keep about 4 bottles aside (2 for the local club meetup and 2 if you're lucky to represent the club! ;) )

I tweaked  the month but from the original thread: http://nationalhomebrewclub.com/forum/index.php/topic,3116.0.html:
The inaugural mid year competition will be titled Summer Session Beers of <4%.

The idea is to run it at club level at the local meet ups for members only.
    Each member gets a vote as to the best beer on the night.
    Entrants should bring brew sheets to show how their beer was made.
    Two beers get selected at the meet up and will be sent through to a national final.
    The final will take place in June. (Beerfly you might need to confirm this?)

It is not a BJCP categorized competition so the tag line is 'Summer Session Beers of <4%'. The beer should reflect the following -  Summer in a glass. Light, refreshing, medium body, thirst quenching, balanced beer of low ABV (a lawnmower beer). Something to enjoy on those two days of summer we get every year.

Prizes and entry fee are to be announced but it is time to get brewing.

Tips to brewing a low ABV beer -

Be careful not to mash too low and end up with a very dry & light bodied beer.
    Use different malts to build body
    Be careful to balance hop bitterness with the lighter body.
    Attenuation of a beer like this is key so choose your yeast carefully

We are a little short on time on this one but low alcohol beers ferment and mature quickly so get brewing.
More details to follow.

brenmurph