• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 29, 2024, 02:14:48 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Pumps for brewing: market research

Started by brenmurph, April 23, 2014, 07:02:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beerbuddha

I'd rather catch hops in a filter as whirlpool takes up time. I like to pump through chiller and get wort cooled asap but yes I guess more flow rate would be good for that.

I think the main obstacle to your pump might be the powertrain needed. For MacGyver and apprentices types we can make one but most need it to be ready without any work just plug it in and go.
IBD Member

brenmurph

April 24, 2014, 12:31:13 PM #16 Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 12:42:05 PM by brenmurph
Agree bb. But most homebrewers prob havnt got 300 euros for a pump, thats my angle. As you know a commercial setup needs hd industrial gear. A fella brewin once a forthnite or month does not need a pump that can do  1,000,000 hours. More like 20 hours a year :) would suffice therefore I am researching can we or not have a fit for purpose setup that will happily run a reliable service for an average homebrrewer who is not in a position to spend a fortune of a brew setup. two halves to the club and I respect both, the ones who love the technology and SS and the ones who would love but there swimbo's wont part with the cash :)

Dr Jacoby

Quote from: B.B. on April 24, 2014, 12:23:43 PM
I'd rather catch hops in a filter as whirlpool takes up time. I like to pump through chiller and get wort cooled asap but yes I guess more flow rate would be good for that.

But if the intention is to create a whirlpool chiller, which is probaby the quickest way to chill an entire batch of wort down to temps where hop volatiles aren't being destroyed or blown off, then whirlpooling can actually save time.

A removable hop filter would work great with a whirlpool chiller set up. It would prevent the pump from getting clogged and would remove the need to continue whirlpooling once the wort is down to pitching temp.

Hop removal is not the only (or even the main) reason to want to create a whirlpool. 
Every little helps

brenmurph

off topic a little but its my thread :)

how many people know that BB is a contender for next years nationals? based on this below in the pic hes a brewing guru.

I said yesterday prob the best beer Ive experienced....and its not even lagered yet..BB we need a marzen party to celebrate this one.

here is BB's  it is sitting for 10 minutes in a glass...pity ye cant taste it as well as see it

brenmurph

Quote from: Dr Jacoby on April 24, 2014, 12:52:10 PM
Quote from: B.B. on April 24, 2014, 12:23:43 PM

But if the intention is to create a whirlpool chiller, which is probaby the quickest way to chill an entire batch of wort down to temps where hop volatiles aren't being destroyed or blown off, then whirlpooling can actually save time.

A removable hop filter would work great with a whirlpool chiller set up. It would prevent the pump from getting clogged and would remove the need to continue whirlpooling once the wort is down to pitching temp.

Hop removal is not the only (or even the main) reason to want to create a whirlpool.

Good debate! Great debate
:) just use a copper coil chiller, leave the trub in it and produce world class beers like ive just posted above :)

Dr Jacoby

That's what I do at the moment. But I'd like to speed up the process by using a whirlpool.

You can create world class beer with almost any set up. But the more you brew the more it helps to have a set up that minimises time wasting and unnecessary effort.   
Every little helps

brenmurph

agree fully,
great beer can be produced on a range of setups. Different folks for different folks. speed / efficiency may be important for many. We are lucky that I work from home and have the ability to take things slowly and public brewdays we generally have no need to rush.
I try use hop flowers as much as possible so havnt got into the pellet sludge problem really. If I do use pellets it all goes in fermenter and gets racked off in a few days. Some like to remove all trub I dont mind trub, our beers are good trub in or trub out.

Myself and a fellow member are working on ideas for pellet trub removal without whirlpooling requirement, that way it would simpler for the masses of homebrewers to manage pellet trub without expensive systems

Beerbuddha

On off note .....dear God look at the color of that body and head.
IBD Member

MisterBurns

Great debate Bren and while you do raise some very valid points I do feel you need to answer the obvious question - why did you leave the best beer you ever tasted in the glass for 10 mins before drinking it? That's some self restraint

psham

Myself and a fellow member are working on ideas for pellet trub removal without whirlpooling requirement, that way it would simpler for the masses of homebrewers to manage pellet trub without expensive systems
[/quote]

See pic below.. possibly the best solution I've used for pellet hop management.
Blichmann hop stopper.

brenmurph

Quote from: MisterBurns on April 24, 2014, 02:10:40 PM
Great debate Bren and while you do raise some very valid points I do feel you need to answer the obvious question - why did you leave the best beer you ever tasted in the glass for 10 mins before drinking it? That's some self restraint

all in the mane of quality control. Marzen needs a lasting head.. BB's has it!!

brenmurph

Quote from: psham on April 24, 2014, 02:14:53 PM

See pic below.. possibly the best solution I've used for pellet hop management.
Blichmann hop stopper.

[/quote]

hard to judge it on a pic, in general hop pellets are near dust levels of fineness and dont usually strain very well without fine mesh, fine mesh tends to clog from my experience

psham

That's the trick with this one.. if you do a manual whirlpool at the end of the boil, wait for 10-15 mins before starting to transfer to fermenter, hop debris is below perferated holes.. when liquid level gets to end of holes just lift up the shield with no holes and here there is a fine mesh for the last few litres.
You cant see from the pic but a  dip tube is used to collect from inside the cylinder to tap.

brenmurph

love to see it in action..hard to understand how it operated from texy...any u tubes?