• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 28, 2024, 02:04:19 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Geraeuchertes Altbier/Smoked Old beer

Started by Alien, May 24, 2014, 11:26:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alien

May 24, 2014, 11:26:40 AM Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 01:56:04 PM by Eoin
Yesterday was late night brew.
Recipe target was nostalgy for West German Alt adding some "smoke" in there ;)
3 kg light LME;
0.5 kg smoked malt from Brupaks all grain kit (claims genuine Bramberg rauchmalt);
0.25 kg Cara aroma;
0.25 kg Carafa spec I;
30 g Hellertauer Mittelfruh (bittering);
20 g Hellertauer Mittelfruh (late add);
Yeast I wanted to use was WLP036 Düsseldorf Alt.
Equipment:
Large sauce pan, muslin bag, 15 l stock pot, hydrometer, 30 l fermerter, 1 pint glass.
All malt was placed in the bag and steeped in sauce pan about 3 l water 70 °C (dropped to 65 °C) for 1 hour.
Then I tried restart 3 yeast (3 months after bb date) in glass with 30 °C water and 2 table spoon LME.
Later I returned to steeped malt which temperature dropped to 55 °C. I reheated it to 70 °C and tried "sparge" with water about 70 °C.
I received about 5 l wort in stock pot, added there 1.5 kg LME, topped to 10 l with boiling water and left to boil.
Yeast starter looked suspicious. About finger from top almost clear, then some "movement" and then rest about finger on bottom. I made emergency yeast started with Brewferm Lager yeast.
I dissolved another 1.5 kg LME in fermenter with 2 l boiling water.
Slowly pot came to boil, I added 30 g hops, after 45 min I added 20 g more hops.
15 min later took pot off heat in sink with cold water. For cold break I use prepared ice chunks.
In fermenter I received 10 l of high gravity wort. Then I topped to 21 l and adjusted temperature to 22 °C OG was 1051. Added yeast.
After 4 hour no bubbling yet but noticeable pressure from inside on airlock.

Will_D

"Then I tried restart 3 yeast (3 months after bb date) in glass with 30 °C water and 2 table spoon LME."

Were these dried yeasts in packets or liquid vials or your own stored yeasts.

If they were dried then no need for the LME just rehydrate with 30C water for 15 mins
You probably gave them sugar shock 2 table spoons in a glass is way to much. Could well dehydrate the cells (i.e. kill them)

If liquids then it is better to make up a starter a few days before brewday just to be sure.

And you are right to always have a backup yeast just in case a speciality doesn't kick off
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

Alien

May 24, 2014, 12:32:54 PM #2 Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 12:45:52 PM by Alien
WLP036 Düsseldorf Altbier liquid yeast was in its original vial. Discounted as expired BB date.
In about 400 ml I added 2 table spoons of liquid malt extract. Water tepmerature before adding yeast was 30 °C.
I haven't checked yeast temperature. It was about half an hour out of fridge, well shaken. Maybe temperature shock killed them.
But I was more lucky restarting same way other more fresher White Labs liquid yeast.

Just curious now:
What smell I will find when return home  ;D smoke or rotten eggs?

Alien

Beside this, it is my first "accidently" experience with lager yeast. Very possible that after few days I'll start panic... that fermentation stuck.

Eoin

Just regarding your beer name, gramatically, it'd be Geraeuchertes Altbier.

As you have it now, Geraucht altbier, would be an alt beer that was smoked in a pipe......

Alien

Quote from: Eoin on May 27, 2014, 09:30:59 AM

As you have it now, Geraucht altbier, would be an alt beer that was smoked in a pipe......

My bad. Can I edit?
Es tut mir leid, aber ich habe das Bier noch nicht geraucht.

Eoin

Quote from: Alien on May 29, 2014, 01:43:11 PM
Quote from: Eoin on May 27, 2014, 09:30:59 AM

My bad. Can I edit?
Es tut mir leid, aber ich habe das Bier noch nicht geraucht.

I've done it for you.

Alien