• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
May 10, 2024, 12:53:56 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

GCB Red Ale Gold Medal

Started by John_C, August 24, 2014, 11:01:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John_C

Hi All,
Here's the winning recipe from the Garden County Brewers Red Ale Competition:

20 liters:
2kg Maris Otter
2kg Vienna Malt
120g roast barley

20g centennial 60 min (or any hop to give approx. 25 IBU)
10g tettenang 0 min

Nottingham yeast at 17C

Og. 1.046
Fg. 1.014
Colour: 16SRM, about the colour of O'Hara's Red Ale

brenmurph

well done john.. good use of vienna to bring out some malt.

simple but effective recipe

LordEoin

on my to-do list. Cheers John :)

tipp brewer

Thanks for recipe john. Had a go with different hops, used northdown at 60 mins and willamette at 0. Came out a bit darker though hard to get a full picture whilst in fermentor. I used black patent malt as thats what came when i ordered roasted barley. I did a biab and got 23 litres in fermentor at sg 1044. Its my first go at all grain so nor expecting gold medals, thanks again

John_C

Quote from: tipp brewer on October 29, 2014, 02:28:22 PM
Thanks for recipe john. Had a go with different hops, used northdown at 60 mins and willamette at 0. Came out a bit darker though hard to get a full picture whilst in fermentor. I used black patent malt as thats what came when i ordered roasted barley. I did a biab and got 23 litres in fermentor at sg 1044. Its my first go at all grain so nor expecting gold medals, thanks again
Hi, just saw this now. How did it turn out? The black malt is a little darker than the roast so it'll probably be more of a maroon ale but that's no problem.

I think red ale is a good style for starting out with. For someone still getting used to their system, it allows for a lot of variation in the final product. Realistically;  anything from 3.5% to 5% abv is fine and any colour from amber to maroon is still OK.

tipp brewer

Hi john, hoping to bottle at the weekend. Colour seems spot on now ie the colour of o hara s red ale. Not sure if it lightened after fermentation a bit or if i was a bit colour blind on brew day. I ll let you know how it turns out. Should be good for the Christmas.

tipp brewer

Well bottled at weekend, more of a brown red ale alright, taste from fermentor was good, will benefit from a little time for the black patent malt to mellow a bit. Thanks again.

tipp brewer

Ok bit of time now and beer has come along, a bit under carbed, might have stayed too far away from trub when racking into bottling bucket. Pretty true to style though, black patent malt a bit strong and i think i d ease off on amount if i was brewing it again, maybe use a bit if crystal in place of half of it. Also used safale 04 and i m not sure about this yeast. Think i need to start paying more attention to the yeast.

Qs

Quote from: tipp brewer on February 03, 2015, 02:59:47 PM
Ok bit of time now and beer has come along, a bit under carbed, might have stayed too far away from trub when racking into bottling bucket. Pretty true to style though, black patent malt a bit strong and i think i d ease off on amount if i was brewing it again, maybe use a bit if crystal in place of half of it. Also used safale 04 and i m not sure about this yeast. Think i need to start paying more attention to the yeast.

That should make no difference to your carbonation.

Keg

I'm going to give this a go on Monday as my first all-grain brew, looking forward to it, cheers in advance for the recipe!