• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 09:44:24 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Craft Range Stout - high final gravity?

Started by Kevin O'Roundwood, January 20, 2015, 03:15:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin O'Roundwood

This has been in the fermenter for 15 days now. OG was 1044 - SG is now 1014 and has been for the last 2 days.

According to the notes it says to leave it till it reaches 1010, but I don't think it's going to get there. Dunno if this is down to my poor temperature control or what but do ye reckon I should go ahead and bottle it or leave it stand another while?

Buachaill dána

Dunkel

What temperature is it at now? With this cold snap the yeasties may be having a bit of a lie-in.

LordEoin

I wouldn't worry about a 4 point difference, just keep it warm for another couple of days and test the SG again to check if it dropped any more :)

Kevin O'Roundwood

Will do!

The temp has been fluctuating like mad in fairness (to the yeast - I haven't been making it easy on them). It didn't drop below 18 degrees but I did let it get quite hot a few times when we hit a cold snap and I left the belt turned on too long. Got up to 30 degrees once..! Oops.. Dunno if the yeast would start to die off at that stage hence leaving me with a high specific gravity?

STC is on it's way from Hong Kong

I was also interested to see my OG was 2 points higher than yours LordEoin... Would've thought with kits they would've been fairly consistent. Or did I make a bit of a hash of something at the start I wonder...

Buachaill dána

LordEoin

The fluctuating temperature wouldn't have done it any good for sure and you might get some off-flavors in there, but feck it...
hopefully it'll all be fine and at the very least it'll be drinkable ;)

Kevin O'Roundwood

Buachaill dána

LordEoin