• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 28, 2024, 06:41:35 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Tesco - 15LT Pot

Started by Acott, January 26, 2015, 08:18:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Acott

Incase anyone was looking for handy stove top pot for small batches ( 1 - 2.5 gallons) Tesco are selling this 15lt Pot for €20

Greg2013

Quote from: Acott on January 26, 2015, 08:18:38 AM
Incase anyone was looking for handy stove top pot for small batches ( 1 - 2.5 gallons) Tesco are selling this 15lt Pot for €20

Cheers for the link but that pot appears to be Aluminium in which case it is not advisable to use to boil wort,as a HLT it would be fine  though. ;D
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

Bubbles

Looks more like brushed stainless steel to me, but it should say on the label.

DEMPSEY

Quote from: Bubbles on January 26, 2015, 11:58:42 AM
Looks more like brushed stainless steel to me, but it should say on the label.
Ditto :)
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

Acott

Hmmm I didn't check the label  :( the photo is too shaky to make out what it says!
It could be either, I'll swing by later and see for sure!

What's the reason why you shouldn't use Aluminium? I haven't heard this before  :-[

Pheeel

Issues with your membership? PM me!

Greg2013

Quote from: Pheeel on January 26, 2015, 01:07:29 PM
Quote from: Acott on January 26, 2015, 12:09:08 PM
What's the reason why you shouldn't use Aluminium? I haven't heard this before  :-[

Brewing myth

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/faq-aluminum-pots-boil-kettles-49449/

Wort is acidic,acid errodes the passivity layer aluminium builds up allowing aluminium ions into wort,no myth boss. ;D
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

Acott

Quote from: Greg2013 on January 26, 2015, 01:26:15 PM

Brewing myth

Wort is acidic,acid errodes the passivity layer aluminium builds up allowing aluminium ions into wort,no myth boss. ;D

Interesting, I did some reading and it appears to have people split! Some saying the acidity level in wort is too weak to cause any harm, others claiming the aluminium pot can cause off flavours!

DEMPSEY

Quote from: Greg2013 on January 26, 2015, 01:26:15 PM

Brewing myth

Is wort so acidic that it ates away aluminium  :-\
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

armedcor

I thought this had been debunked time and time again. Aluminium is fine for a boil Kettle.

Acott

That's good, I swung by last night and it turns out the pot is actually Aluminium. It's quite light, which is great if you are doing stove top.

Bubbles

Quote from: Acott on January 27, 2015, 08:10:33 AM
That's good, I swung by last night and it turns out the pot is actually Aluminium. It's quite light, which is great if you are doing stove top.

Do the handles look sturdy, capable of holding 15 litres of boiling hot wort?

Acott

The rivets holding the handle seem quite sturdy, there's 4 in each.

I wouldn't be moving it very far, stove to sink for cooling really. The only thing is the wall seems quite thin, maybe heat retention might be a headache!

Bubbles

Quote from: Acott on January 27, 2015, 09:12:09 AMmaybe heat retention might be a headache!

Probably. Assume you're doing BIAB in these pots? The high conductivity of the aluminium in conjunction with the small batch size (lack of thermal mass) will mean that you'll have to look at insulating the pot in some way. Either that or adding heat periodically during the mash. If you choose to add heat you'll have to think about how you're going to avoid scorching the bag itself.

TheSumOfAllBeers

A cake tray on the bottom will protect the bag. You could also move it into a preheated oven to keep the mash temp stable