• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 28, 2024, 06:12:29 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

LME and price range

Started by Archsnapper, March 27, 2015, 05:17:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Archsnapper

I'm a newbie so there are some areas of brewing I'm still on a learning curve about. I'm on extract and am unsure about the LME available. There are many in different price ranges. Have any of you any opinions on whether or not higher priced LME gives a distinctively better result than a cheaper one?

LordEoin

DME not really, but LME yes.
You'll see the super cheap ones, I always find they leave a weird musty flavor and darker beer.
The craft range LME seems to be cleaner, but just one variety.
Muntons has great quality and variety. Coopers is about the same as muntons but you pay an extra 2 quid for the coopers label.

dcalnan

I find it depends on the beer style, I've used the craft range LME €7.50 a pouch in two of my beers lately an IPA and a Stout. But for two beers I've gotten the specific LME for the style marris Otter for a belgian €11 a can, and Wheat LME for a hefeweizen, which was €13 a can and so far my most expensive beer. And extract kits that used the cheaper LME have worked out good in the past. I got two cans of the sub €6 LME HBW are offering atm, sofar they're the cheapest I've bought so I'll see how they work out soon.