• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 04:32:51 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

BJCP Tasting Course 2023 - Signup Thread.

Started by Partridge9, June 13, 2023, 09:23:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Partridge9

June 13, 2023, 09:23:01 PM Last Edit: September 10, 2023, 03:31:26 PM by Partridge9
Folks, we are organising the BJCP Tasting Course as a lot of people have expressed an interest.

This Course consists of about 6 or 7 style classes, a seibel sensory session (or two), a Mock BJCP Tasting exam and a BJCP tasting exam, you will get plenty of reference material via the student google share to assist your knowledge for the classes.

The Classes will run Saturday mornings, starting around 11:45am finishing at 13:30  (times to be confirmed with venue) - the last venue was the Brew Dock (near Busaras) - new venue TBC.

The rough format of each class is a small talk introducing the style, scoring some beers and talking through others, we are going to focus on student participation and feedback, so expect to be asked a lot of questions !

We need to have 12-15 people in each class to make it feasible. Expect the class cost to be 15 euro. Its run as 'not for profit' so basically your paying for the beer that needs to be brought in.

At the end of the course, there is a mock exam and a proper BJCP tasting exam, where you can get certified with BJCP to judge beer competitions.
You dont have to do the exam, the exam and mock exam are charged separately and require an online pre-exam

Here are the rough timelines (to give you a ball park)

classes run end aug / sept / oct /start nov -  mock exam nov/early dec and real exam  Q1 2024

I need to square it off with the BJCP and get proctors flown in for the exam - so that's really up in the air at the moment.

I'll start a doodle for the instructors and after a couple of days, we will post a different doodle for the students.

Please feel free to add you name to the interest list below, if all this interests you.

oh - if you want to help out - please send me a PM, we are ok for instructors but might need assistance with the exams and sensory session.

Please note - if you have already passed the exam and want to sign up for a couple of classes to brush up / calibrate your scoring - feel free to put your name down.

Looking forward to it !!

James

Dr Brown Ale

diarmuid

SureLook

Wee County Brewers - Small County, Big Beers!

ickle_brews

1. James K
2. Des F
3. Diarmuid
4. Ross
5. Tara

lunka01

1. James K
2. Des F
3. Diarmuid
4. Ross
5. Tara
6. Pawel
pawel j.

mikeb

1. James K
2. Des F
3. Diarmuid
4. Ross
5. Tara
6. Pawel
7. Mike

ManAboutCouch

1. James K
2. Des F
3. Diarmuid
4. Ross
5. Tara
6. Pawel
7. Mike
8. Richard C

brittesn

1. James K
2. Des F
3. Diarmuid
4. Ross
5. Tara
6. Pawel
7. Mike
8. Richard C
9. Brittany

Owen

1. James K
2. Des F
3. Diarmuid
4. Ross
5. Tara
6. Pawel
7. Mike
8. Richard C
9. Brittany
10.Owen C

Richy

1. James K
2. Des F
3. Diarmuid
4. Ross
5. Tara
6. Pawel
7. Mike
8. Richard C
9. Brittany
10.Owen C
11. Richy

Pelston

1. James K
2. Des F
3. Diarmuid
4. Ross
5. Tara
6. Pawel
7. Mike
8. Richard C
9. Brittany
10.Owen C
11. Richy
12. Paul

Paddyh

1. James K
2. Des F
3. Diarmuid
4. Ross
5. Tara
6. Pawel
7. Mike
8. Richard C
9. Brittany
10.Owen C
11. Richy
12. Paul
13. PaddyH
🍻

Padraic

I'd like to better my score in the exam and will probably join ye for a few of the sessions. Great job everyone for organising!

1. James K
2. Des F
3. Diarmuid
4. Ross
5. Tara
6. Pawel
7. Mike
8. Richard C
9. Brittany
10.Owen C
11. Richy
12. Paul