• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 28, 2024, 05:14:22 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Washing and Slanting yeast (re-use and storage)

Started by nigel_c, April 24, 2015, 10:49:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nigel_c

We in the NCB have a basic yeast bank going. Few of us have yeasts be build up and share at a club level. I think this is a simple enough highly profitable step all clubs should look into.
We have a swap shop thread we update before meet ups or if anyone is looking for a specific yeast.

LordEoin

That's awesome, and something that would benefit every regional club to have.
Hopefully this thread might help to fill in any gaps in your collection (yeasts that are never stocked, or a yeast that's been reused a few too many times ;)) and encourage more people around the country to seek out specific yeasts that can make it into general circulation.

I'm also going to trial a second sticky linking to yeast washing and slanting guides so encourage reuse.
it makes me sad to think of how much good yeast goes down the drain across the country in 'waste' trub :(

Oh Crap

Quote from: LordEoin on April 24, 2015, 11:00:55 PM
That's awesome, and something that would benefit every regional club to have.
Hopefully this thread might help to fill in any gaps in your collection (yeasts that are never stocked, or a yeast that's been reused a few too many times ;)) and encourage more people around the country to seek out specific yeasts that can make it into general circulation.

I'm also going to trial a second sticky linking to yeast washing and slanting guides so encourage reuse.
it makes me sad to think of how much good yeast goes down the drain across the country in 'waste' trub :(
I just kegged a red ale that I used s-04 with. I never opened the fv just the tap, just in case. I was planning on washing but don't know how to. Would love to learn
Beer
1 is good, 2 is better, 3 is enough & 4 isn't half enough

molc

I have old wlp001 and California common that I'm about to revive. Really need to start slanting. ;/
Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter

LordEoin

*This sticky post is basic for now, but hopefully it will evolve with time*

Washing: http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.com/wordpress/brewwiki/washing-yeast/
This is the process of separating good yeast from waste material in your trub (eg hop particles, break). The yeast can then be used again in later brews.
It saves money and allows you to share excess yeast with friends.

Slanting: http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.com/wordpress/slanting-yeast/
This is allows you to make many small cultures of your yeast strain on agar and grow them into multiple full size starters later on.

Of course, if you have questions just ask. Lets get everyone the knowledge they need to re-use and share their yeast! :)

LordEoin

April 24, 2015, 11:17:10 PM #5 Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 11:38:50 PM by LordEoin
Quote from: Oh Crap on April 24, 2015, 11:07:46 PM
I just kegged a red ale that I used s-04 with. I never opened the fv just the tap, just in case. I was planning on washing but don't know how to. Would love to learn

Miles ahead of you Crap, there's a second sticky going up just now with links to guides for washing and slanting :)
It's basic for now, but I figure a placeholder with links is better than no information at all.

edit: see here - http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.ie/forum/index.php/topic,9550.0.html

nigel_c

Slants are handy if you have one person who is willing to take charge of the library. You give them a shout a week or so before you need the yeast and they take some from the slant and start building it up.
We take a donation of €2 each meet up that goes into our NCB fund. Other clubs could do this and the funds could be used to get all
The slanting elaiptment and dme a club yeast librarian might need.

Dry yeasts are probably cheep enough not to bother with but liquid yeast strains or yeast harvested from bottles are great to have in a communal bank.

LordEoin

April 24, 2015, 11:27:57 PM #7 Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 11:39:05 PM by LordEoin
Lets move the washing/slanting party over to the new washing/slanting thread and keep this one for requesting strains ;)

LordEoin

Hmmm, that didn't work too well. it deleted the OP..

edit: nope it's just 4 posts down because of chronological order.

Sorry about this folks. It was just easier to unsticky and recreate the thread.
I wasn't expecting this many people on here at half 11 on a friday night:D