• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 29, 2024, 12:12:23 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

More for Kits - English Bitter and American Pale Ale

Started by IsMise, December 30, 2012, 12:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IsMise

Good to be back home after a delightful Christmas break in my daughter's. Only got to the end of my keg of IPA, (Cooper's kit tweaked slightly with a little extra DME and dry hopped with Target in primary ferment, and Fuggles in secondary.) I thought it was delish, and it also went down well at the previous Liffey Brewers tasting in the County Bar, Lucan.
As I'm heading off for the week-end, I thought I had better get a brew in before the end of the year
Following the Capital Brewers Brewday in TOG, and seeing DOShannon's Kit demo, I'm feeling a bit adventurous, so I've decided to hack another 2 kits I have just lying around....  ::)
I have tried to get the essence of an English Bitter, and an American Pale Ale, by using the respective hops and yeast.

English Bitter – 23ltrs
1 can of Cooper's Sparkling Ale as a base
1kg Dried Malt Extract
50gms East Kent Goldings Hops – 5% AA (Pack not vacuumed air-tight, BB Date Dec 2012.)
Yeast: Nottingham Ale Yeast

Added 1kg DME to 2 ltrs boiling water
Brought back to the boil,
Added 30gms hops, boiled for 10 mins, then added 20gms hops for another 5 mins.
Hydrated yeast.
Poured liquid into fermenter
Added Coopers Kit
Topped to 23ltrs with cold water
Pitched yeast at about 240 C
OG – 1.038'ish
I intend dry hopping with about 20gms of EKG after initial fermentation dies down, probably about day 4 or 5.

American Pale Ale – 23ltrs
1 can of Cooper's Australian Pale Ale
1kg Dried Malt Extract
200gms Crystal Malt
50gms Centennial Hops - 12.3% AA  (Again, pack not vacuumed air-tight, BB Date Nov 2012.)
Yeast: US-05

Boiled Crystal Malt in about 2ltrs water, turned off and left to steep.
Added 1kg DME to 2 ltrs boiling water
Brought back to the boil,
Added 30gms hops, boiled for 10 mins, then added 20gms hops for another 5 mins.
Hydrated yeast.
Poured liquid into fermenter
Added Coopers Kit
Topped to 23ltrs with cold water
OG- 1.042
I intend dry hopping with about 20gms of Centennial after initial fermentation dies down, again, about day 4 or 5.

Thanks ColinC for your help and input, if they turn out well, we'll share the kudos, if they're a bit iffy, i'll take responsibility...

Any comments???  ;)

Ciderhead

:o :o

Might get a few off flavours at that sort of temp, I'm thinking burnt toast ;)

IsMise

Haha, that was the empty keg talking,  :-[ ... obviously it was 24 degrees c. Thought I was being clever with the little subscript 0, but what's a few decimal points between friends  ;)

LordEoin

THe english bitter and Aus Pale ale kits are great quality and good fun to play with.
They'll take an awful hammering before they turn out bad beer, although 240C is probably pushing it a bit alright  ;D

Robrew

Hey Eoin im thinking of doing your exact recipe of the American Pale Ale and I was Just wondering if you have tasted one yet and how did it turn out for you? Also am thinking of using cascade pellets instead of centenial, would this change the flavour that much?

LordEoin

I think that the American Pale Ale works awesome with 30g Cascade and 30g Amarillo.
Dryhop, steep or short boil (5-10 mins)
Just cracked one open last night and even though it's a bit young it's tasty out.

Amarillo, Cascade, Columbus, Summit, Centennial, Chinook, Willamette should all work great, depending on what you like  :)

Robrew

Amarillo, Cascade, Columbus, Summit, Centennial, Chinook, Willamette should all work great, depending on what you like  :)

Hmmm well seen as I have only used Williamette but have heard so much about cascade I felt that it was time I brewed a beer which had cascade ;D and also I have heard cascade and centennial are good for american pale ales :)

LordEoin

Cascade is a lovely hop, you won't be disappointed :)

Robrew

Thanks Eoin looking forward to this one, will start it in another week and a half or so  ;D ;D

IsMise

Just got the scores from the competition for those 2 kits,,,
American Pale Ale scored 32 - absolutely delighted with that for a kit,  ;D, however the English Bitter scored 17,  :(  but not unexpected... (i'm still enjoying drinking it  ;) )
well chuffed with both results when compared with the other entries in the compettition.
Any one else get scores back from their kits?

oinkely

Just reviving this thread as I stole the recipe for the APA and have it bottled for the last two weeks or so going to be giving it a try this weekend so will report back in case anyone is interested!

thanks for posting the recipe Is Mise, great for us newbies!

oinkely

Cracked open a few of these on Saturday evening and I have to say I am delighted with them.  Taste is fantastic and a lovely subtle hops aroma.