• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 06:02:16 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Fermentation Seems To Have Stopped???

Started by Greg2013, January 12, 2013, 01:21:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg2013

Ok so i have been watching my coopers Irish stout on and off all morning and i aint seeing anymore bubbles coming up. Surely it could not be done fermenting already? The smell is still massive (thats Tallow for great), no explosions, there is still a 2 inch foamy head ring type thing around the top which i presume is the krizen ring? Should i be worried? Temp is still holding around 23C. :-/
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

johnrm

January 12, 2013, 06:44:31 PM #1 Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 06:45:09 PM by johnrm
 How many minutes has it been fermenting for?
Give it 10  days at least, then  check gravity.
look for 3 consistent readings, 3 days in a row.
sanitize  everything that comes into contact with brew,  don't leave fermenter open for any extended period.

Ciderhead

January 12, 2013, 07:11:06 PM #2 Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 07:33:15 PM by Ciderhead
QuoteOk so i have been watching my coopers Irish stout on and off all morning and i aint seeing anymore bubbles coming up. Surely it could not be done fermenting already? The smell is still massive (thats Tallow for great), no explosions, there is still a 2 inch foamy head ring type thing around the top which i presume is the krizen ring? Should i be worried? Temp is still holding around 23C. :-/

Hey Mr Goldfish do you not remember our 1,2,3 rule, prove to me that you do and for your first NHC Brew Exam write it below, no helping him or PM's

There is a prize if you get the right answer, I'm serious about the prize btw :o

Greg2013

January 12, 2013, 08:22:00 PM #3 Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 08:24:51 PM by deadman1972
Sterilisation of everything, even the scissors you open yeast packet with!
Control of Fermentation temp try and stay within 17-21 not up to 27 as per coopers kit advice
Patience, time is the brewers friend, 1, 2, 3 rule, 1 week primary, 2 weeks in secondary, 3 weeks in bottles or the longer the better
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

Greg2013

Greg2013

Any other newbies watching better watch those youtube clips i just posted.

Ciderhead

January 12, 2013, 09:35:56 PM #6 Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 09:41:09 PM by Ciderhead
QuoteSterilisation of everything, even the scissors you open yeast packet with!
Control of Fermentation temp try and stay within 17-21 not up to 27 as per coopers kit advice
Patience, time is the brewers friend, 1, 2, 3 rule, 1 week primary, 2 weeks in secondary, 3 weeks in bottles or the longer the better

The Answer was
1. One week in primary
2. Two weeks in Secondary
3. Three weeks in bottles

These are bare minimums but how many posts did you have to re-read before you found them!!

In any case I promised you a prize so PM me your Name and Address and I am going to send you some packet cider yeast for you to mess about with in your lidl apple juice, God help us  ;D

Greg2013

To be honest i am doing a shocktop next week as some of ye may know and i intend to use that as my first official newbie brew thread. I got a bit over excited with this one and kinda all over the place.

Hey ye start a newbie section and i will do the business. I have been communbictaing with some lads on youtube as well for my planned five litre experiments so wtch this space over the next few weeks. I got yeast,nutrient, pectolase,citric acid etc and 9 empty 5 litre demijohns ;D

Greg2013

Actually now that i think about it a proper newbie section would be a great idea, a good platform and i could start a proper thread for all my brews as they are all virgin brews ;D

LordEoin

Unless I'm lagering a beer I generally just leave it in the primary for 2 weeks and bottle.
However, the 123 rules posted are awesome if you have enough discipline  :D

I'd say take a reading now, and take a reading in 2 days time.
If they're the same and at about 1.010, you'll be ok to bottle.

Funny you mention a beginners' thread, I've been working on it.
I have all the photos and bits and pieces together to do 1 basic beginners version and slightly more advanced version with a dry hop and grain steep.

THey should be up over the next few days. :)

Greg2013

Really i am interested more in starting a completely new section for total newbies like myself.