• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 28, 2024, 05:55:17 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Order Arrived+ Start Of Coopers Irish Stout Brew.

Started by Greg2013, January 07, 2013, 05:30:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg2013

January 07, 2013, 05:30:58 PM Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 11:17:03 PM by deadman1972
Ok so my order finally arrived today and if you go for the 33lt starter kit from homebrewcompany.ie this is what you get minus the cans of coopers obviously, and the few extra bits i got just in case like ;D
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

Greg2013

January 07, 2013, 05:33:25 PM #1 Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 11:19:33 PM by deadman1972
This thread is for everybody but especially newbies like me to learn from my mistakes etc. It will be sorta running commentary on the various stages of the brewing process from initial sterilization of equipment, down eventually to bottling and conditioning. ;D

Oh for future reference a mod might let me know if these pics are too big or ok. ::)
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

Greg2013

Thanks for that tube i thought i might have got the wrong FV delivered. I just realised though in only have one bubbler so i can only start one brew :'( just as well start the stout i think and by time the extra air lock arrives i will be ready to start the other one ::)

Greg2013

Damn thanks for reminding me tube ::) I plum forgot with all thats happening around here. I better get me arse in gear and get some sorted especially if i am going to be doing more than one brew at once, which i am ;D Must try Merrys again, if i can meet the owner i might be ok. ;)

Ciderhead

Stick your LCD crystal thermometer half way up, it conducts heat., I know that sounds obvious but I have seen ejits put them on lids

Greg2013

Stick it up where exactly ciderhead ? :o

Ciderhead

January 07, 2013, 08:49:33 PM #6 Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 08:49:53 PM by Ciderhead
QuoteStick it up where exactly ciderhead ? :o

Da buckat

I was talking about you on another post did you find it? 

Go on Fetch!

Greg2013

Well here it is in all its glory my 23 litres of coopers Irish stout wort Yaaay i got wort ;D Damn thing is still 30C and its already at 23 litres so i have lid on fv loose and am letting it cool down slowly.

Ciderhead i made a boo boo i forgot to order the lcd crystal thermometer and am having to use the spirit thermometer that came with the kit :'( Say you forgive me :-[

Next reply will be a run down on what i did and a final look with yeast pitched and bubbler and lid on.

Greg2013

January 07, 2013, 10:50:40 PM #8 Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 10:51:56 PM by deadman1972
For those that are wondering where the rest of the brew pics are, i did another boo boo, i forgot to put the sd card into camera from outta the laptop :-[ :-[ :'(

Also i do not own a video camera so i cannot currently upload vids otherwise i would have uploaded to my youtube channel and linked here :-[

Ciderhead

January 07, 2013, 11:07:27 PM #9 Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 11:12:35 PM by Ciderhead
Looking good what's batch volume

Ciderhead

January 07, 2013, 11:11:22 PM #10 Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 11:12:11 PM by Ciderhead
Just for all newbies it helps if when you are 2-3 litres away from ideal volume you stop,and take temp measurement and then add boiling or cold water to hit your target stirring all the time

Ciderhead

January 07, 2013, 11:14:06 PM #11 Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 11:14:57 PM by Ciderhead

Ciderhead i made a boo boo i forgot to order the lcd crystal thermometer and am having to use the spirit thermometer that came with the kit :'( Say you forgive me :-[

The LCD thermometer slapped on side of bucket gives you a good indication of temp closer to target volume, but you knew that!!

Greg2013

Ya exactly what i did not do cause i got over excited so now i have 23 litres of wort sitting in a covered fv at 30C and i can't add any more cold water so i just have to wait until it comes down by nearly 10C to pitch my yeast.

If i had done it like ciderhead just said i would not be waiting like an eejit to pitch my yeast now :'(

Oh btw OG is 1.038 :o

Ciderhead

Ciderhead

Have you a spoon or a paddle that came with it if so go and find a cold room and stir like hell
You can pitch at 25 but make sure it's in a cold room overnight and then into your fermenting room, constant 18-22 max thereafter