• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 28, 2024, 05:19:43 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Order Arrived+ Start Of Coopers Irish Stout Brew.

Started by Greg2013, January 07, 2013, 05:30:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LordEoin

wow, good restraint for the first brew. I'm impressed  ;D

Greg2013

Thanks, so this time tomorrow night i will be cracking her open to sample and check gravity for first time since starting brew. Now if my other demijohn in hotpress would only kick off ::) ;D
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

Greg2013

Ok well i just checked my gravity on the coopers stout and it is only at 1.020 giving me a potential 2.1% abv which is rather dissapointing. Is it possible that it took off but now is stuck or paused? If so how do i get it going again? Ambient temp is still 12C. :'(
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

Snuff

Slower fermentation cause the temp is low. What has it been a week? 10 days? Leave it alone for another week.
If the brew is still about 1020 after that, then it is stuck, get a pack of dry beer enzyme and add it to the brew. That will get the gravity under 1010 quick.
If you have no patience, rouse it by a good stir with a sterilised spoon, I don't recommend that due to risk of infection.
Primary -
Secondary -
Kegged - Red Dragon, Red Lager, HopWarOne, ThisIsntLager
Bottled -

Blueshed

QuoteOk well i just checked my gravity on the coopers stout and it is only at 1.020 giving me a potential 2.1% abv which is rather dissapointing. Is it possible that it took off but now is stuck or paused? If so how do i get it going again? Ambient temp is still 12C. :'(

a bit like Guinness light then ;D

Greg2013

Its 10 days today Snuff,i will leave it until next week so. Never heard of that dried beer enzyme though, is that the same as yeast nutrient?

LordEoin

January 18, 2013, 02:48:06 AM #186 Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 02:48:51 AM by eoinlayton@hotmail
getting it back up to the recommended temperature would probably be enough.
I think that strain of yeast goes on strike somewhere around 14-16.

Snuff

QuoteIts 10 days today Snuff,i will leave it until next week so. Never heard of that dried beer enzyme though, is that the same as yeast nutrient?
The dry beer enzyme allows the yeast to process sugars that it normally can't, thus reducing the gravity and "drying" out the taste a bit. I have used it a few times and it never fails to get the FG below 1010, more like 1005. You can get it from the homebrewcompany.ie for €1.95 a pack. Always good to have a couple of pack "just in case".
However, I do reckon temperature is your issue, sleeping yeast rather than stuck brew.
Primary -
Secondary -
Kegged - Red Dragon, Red Lager, HopWarOne, ThisIsntLager
Bottled -

Greg2013

We will see on Wednesday, i am leaving it alone until then and will see if any progress on the gravity at that stage ;D

Greg2013

Will be bottling this at some stage tomorrow. Will try to upload something but i only have my phone to work off now since laptop blew the motherboard.