• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 28, 2024, 12:42:01 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Irish Stout Stuck?

Started by Robrew, February 11, 2013, 05:29:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robrew

Hey everyone so my Irish stout has been fermenting for 2 weeks and I think it may be stuck. I used 1kg of light DME and 200g of treacle, the yeast I used was WLP004 Irish Ale Yeast. for the first 4/5 days the temp was at 22/23c then dropped to 18 for the remainder. The OG was 1.044 and I took a sample today after 15 days and the FG is 1.014/15. is this stuck? or would it be ok to bottle and it just has a high FG??

Ciderhead

At 3.9 just this side the light side, as is the ferment temp, pop her back up to 22 for a couple of days just to be sure.
Taking readings on three consecutive days usually tells you
dont measure for 24 hours if you decide to bumb up.
What does it taste like?

Blueshed

have you got a brew belt, if not i can drop mine down to you.

Robrew

the hotpress is usually 22-24c so I could put it in there and just rouse the yeast, how do I do that just a gentle stir of the trub at the bottom and the wort? I was just wondering could I bottle it instead? cause it would still be 4%ish so that would be fine

Ciderhead

February 11, 2013, 08:47:19 PM #4 Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 08:47:45 PM by Ciderhead
Don't disturb your trub you risk all sorts of issues frm off flavours and it will take an age to settle out again.
Consider popping your temp up to 24 for 24hours and then back to 20-22look out for bubbling or more swelling of your lid

LordEoin

My Irish stouts generally finish at 1.012 - 1.014.
Bump the temp for a couple of days like Ciderhead suggested.
It might come down another few points
If it was my brew i'd probably just bottle it  :)

DEMPSEY

As the lads have said,leave it for a few more days at a temp of around 22c,if no more points drop then you can get ready to bottle it. 1014/5 is fine and will add a little sweetness. Don't ever get too hung up on trying to reach a perfect finishing gravity,you will find many a time that when it's born,your beer will take on a life of its own. A lot of factors can stop a beer from reaching a lower finish. Enjoy :).
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

Robrew

cool thanks guys for the help will warm it up for a few more days then bottle ;D

Greg2013

Brother i feel your pain. lol
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

Robrew

well tis all bottled up wit 1.5 carb (3.75g) drops in 20 bottles and 1 carb drop in the other 20(2.5g)  ;D, there all 500ml bottles, I have them all in the hotpress keep them nice and warm at 23/24c and hopefully no fireworks going off  :P

LordEoin

Quotewell tis all bottled up wit 1.5 carb (3.75g) drops in 20 bottles and 1 carb drop in the other 20(2.5g)  ;D, there all 500ml bottles, I have them all in the hotpress keep them nice and warm at 23/24c and hopefully no fireworks going off  :P
You should have no fireworks at all.
As far as I remember, the drops are 3g each, so the bottles with 1.5 drops per 500ml will probably be very fizzy for stout (pimed at 9g/L), but It'll still be great  :)

Robrew

Ye I am quite fond of a bit off fizz and I thought I may as well see what its like in the stout ;D :)