• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 03:44:38 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Coopers Irish Stout Bottled.

Started by Greg2013, February 01, 2013, 07:08:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg2013

44 bottles done at last. OG was 1.040 FG was 1.020.
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

Shanna

Hi Deadman

That final gravity sounds a bit high. What did the kit instructions suggest should be the final gravity?

Declan
Cornie keg group buy organiser, storeman & distribution point
Hops Group buy packer
Regulator & Taps distribution point
Stainless Steel Fermenter Group Buy Organiser
South Dublin Brewers member

Shanna

Cornie keg group buy organiser, storeman & distribution point
Hops Group buy packer
Regulator & Taps distribution point
Stainless Steel Fermenter Group Buy Organiser
South Dublin Brewers member

Ciderhead

February 01, 2013, 07:53:37 PM #3 Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 08:04:16 PM by Ciderhead
You should have finished out at 1.010 to 1.012 with coopers yeast, it stalled because it was too cold :(
Did you measure same gravity for three days in sucession?
You have potential bottle bombs if its not finished
You have them in oxbar bottles right? they will go hard as a rock and little or no booze in them :)

If it tasted v sweet before your primed with coopers drops or sugar definately not finished fermenting :(

Damo

As Tube says!!

After 3 days fully release the caps and then on day 6, after that I'd give them another 7 days in warmth.

They will be fine, you'll just end up with a lot of trub in the bottle. again, not a problem

LordEoin

I thought the FG was 1.011 like here?

you'll be fine if you keep releasing pressure like the others say :)

Greg2013

They are in glass bottles, I couldn't get the oxbar ones I wanted. They are sitting at 10 c with one coppers drop in each 500 ml. I did not want to chance any more tbh. Ferment defo stuck but it'd been nearly 4 weeks so not waiting any longer. It was 1.020 two weeks ago as well and I stuck the leccy blanket around it but the gf stayed put.

Indeed I have potential bottle bombs on my hands. What can I do? I couldn't leave it any longer. Defo sweet taste from it,heavy hint of treacle.
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

Damo

February 02, 2013, 10:45:29 AM #7 Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 10:47:48 AM by Damian
Hi Deadman

I think temperature is the crux of your brewing!

You really need to either move your brewing to somewhere a little warmer! or put some sort of heating into your brew room.  looking at your video I have to ask is your whole house that cold? It cant be?

p.s.

I have some pet's if you want them

LordEoin

February 02, 2013, 12:12:00 PM #8 Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 12:13:10 PM by eoinlayton@hotmail
Aye, it's the same yeast so it needs the same temperatures, otherwise it just stays stuck. That's why it is so important to achieve the FG in your FV.

During fermentation your main concern is the yeast turning the sugar into alcohol and the carbon dioxide is all wasted out of the airlock, but once bottled the yeast's job is to create gas in the confined bottle space so that the liquid soaks it up and becomes carbonated.

Ciderhead

February 02, 2013, 12:29:49 PM #9 Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 12:30:32 PM by Ciderhead
QuoteThey are in glass bottles, I couldn't get the oxbar ones I wanted. They are sitting at 10 c with one coppers drop in each 500 ml. I did not want to chance any more tbh. Ferment defo stuck but it'd been nearly 4 weeks so not waiting any longer. It was 1.020 two weeks ago as well and I stuck the leccy blanket around it but the gf stayed put.

Indeed I have potential bottle bombs on my hands. What can I do? I couldn't leave it any longer. Defo sweet taste from it,heavy hint of treacle.

I feel so sorry for you but Jesus I wish you would listen to us on this forum :(
Ok you have my sincerest sympathies, but this one is close to fooked now.
Uncap them barely so lids still on move them to an area which is min 20-24 degrees for 7 days, this will gerenerate enough C02 to keep them sterile but also finish fermenting and measure gravity, if its 1010 or below drop another carbonation drop and reseal

Another idea for heating is is in a box with old (not new LED no heat)christmas lights around them as long as they are brown bottles!

If that doesn't work for you I am sending in the ISPCB (beers)

If you leave as is, yeast is still dormant, as soon as temperature comes up in Spring you will get these

https://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=Kuv8F4uORA8&feature=endscreen

or I'd be afraid they would explode in handling or around the house  :(

Greg2013

Thanks ciderhead but where exactly on this point did i not listen?  My house is fooking freezing,the whole house is 10-12 c every day all day and lower at night. There is no heating option so thats out. No point in moving them to another room for the same reason, all rooms same temp if not colder. I tried to keep temp up with the leccy blanket but obviously it did no good.  :'(

Brew belts not an option right now i have too many other things to get ;) I have a few 5lt water containers and if i can get a few more i may transfer the stout into them for safety reasons. so long as i can still drink it its not a totaly lost cause.

Ciderhead

February 02, 2013, 03:46:27 PM #11 Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 03:47:41 PM by Ciderhead
I am more frustrated for you considering the amount of effort you put into this rather than trying to lecture you.
find a cupboard or a big cardboard box put your electric blanket on/in, please don't spill anything. put your beer in. After 5-6 hours measure ambient temp in cupboard.
Next payday 2 brew belts
There is a forecast for snow next week.
You wont be able to brew at 10-12 degrees :(

Greg2013

With the laptop going tits up it has put a strain on funds is all. I am a little cranky sorry. I don't want to be stuck doing lagers forever. What would happen if I used a lager yeast on another coopers stout?

Ciderhead

February 03, 2013, 12:21:24 AM #13 Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 12:24:47 AM by Ciderhead
QuoteWith the laptop going tits up it has put a strain on funds is all. I am a little cranky sorry. I don't want to be stuck doing lagers forever. What would happen if I used a lagered yeast on another coopers stout?

Don't, ambient in my garage is 4 meaning I have to have the heater switched on in my fridge to ferment a lager, just wait for brew belts you won't regret it and just get more frustrated attempting and failing workarounds :(

Greg2013

Yes I have a hotpress but the fb will not fit betrween shelves. I realise that this is close to fooled now so I am thinking of chucking the lot back into an fb and adding some yeast energizer and turbo yeast just to ferment everything out. Then bottle again as normal. Not ideal but i have nothinng to loose and it would be safer this way,no bottle bombs. Brewing on hold for now until i can get heating fb sorted, computer takes priority for now.

I was thinking of building some sort of insulated hot box specifically for the 33lt fb,kinda like their own little hot press?