• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
May 11, 2024, 09:12:50 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Coopers IPA Round 2

Started by Robrew, March 11, 2013, 04:44:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robrew

so thinking for my next brew it will be another IPA as the first one was very nice  ;D. Im sticking to kit hacking as it helps a lot. the recipe im thinking of going for is:

Coopers IPA can
1kg of spraymalt (thinking of amber)
500g of crystal 113EBC (steeped for 30 mins at 62-65c)
Amarillo pellets- 20g at 15 minutes,20g at 5minutes and 15g dry hop
Centennial- 20g at 15 minutes, 20g at 5 minutes and 15g dry hop
Yeast is either US-05 or Danstar Nottingham

So any comments or recommendations would be great before I order this stuff  ;D :).

Ciderhead

March 11, 2013, 05:11:12 PM #1 Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 06:02:41 PM by Ciderhead
looks good Danstar is my fav at the moment
Chinook if you want full on bittering and serious legs

ColmR

That's a lot of hops! What a great thingĀ  8-). For a beer that hoppy I'd probably boost the gravity. You may go more than a kilo of spray malt but I'd use light Instead of amber especially with the medium crystal you're adding. If you havent ordered the stuff yet my vote would be a lighter colour crystal like the 82ebc. But that all depends on the beer you want. My yeast choice would be us-05.

Robrew

ye i like me some hops  ;D, so if i were to use 1.5kg and the crystal what ABV% would we be looking at. my last IPA was 6% and you could taste the higher ABV so im kind of aiming for a smoother beer this time around. I will go for the light spraymalt so and I am fond of the US-05 just tasted an American pale ale I made with it and it was lovely
@Ciderhead: I think US-05 is winning in my books  ::), I will get around to using Danstar, and im not looking for too much bitter more subtle fruity flavour  :D

Bubbles

I've done a lot of kit modding in the past and I'd have to say that's far too much crystal malt to be adding to a kit brew. I wouldn't be too worried about the effects on the colour (the Coopers IPA kit) is already pretty dark, but it's going to add a LOT of residual sweetness and a caramel character that might end up overwhelming. I doubt the bitterness in the kit will be able to stand up to all that crystal.

I'd avoid amber spraymalt which more than likely contains a high proportion of crystal malt already. And you're adding an 500g of crystal on top of it.

You should be alright with those hop additions, but large 15 min additions of high AA hops are going to give you quite a bit of extra bitterness.

The challenge with modding kits is that you don't know what the manufacturer has already put into the kit. Start off with a small addition of crystal (say 150-200g) which will give you a little more caramel and fresh grain character.