• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
May 12, 2024, 08:16:53 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Coopers pilsner

Started by Thomo, March 26, 2013, 07:42:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thomo

Hi

Im going to be setting away a coopers pilsner kit in the next week or so. Just wondering if you guys have any tips to help improve this brew. This will only be my 3rd brew so any tips will be gratefully appreciated.

Thomo

Ciderhead

QuoteHi

Im going to be setting away a coopers pilsner kit in the next week or so. Just wondering if you guys have any tips to help improve this brew. This will only be my 3rd brew so any tips will be gratefully appreciated.

Thomo

I am not totally sure but I believe its like a San Fran Lager yeast in that its more tolerant of higher temps but please don't cook it in the fermenter.
I did it a couple of times years ago and it was great, but took a long time to clarify. Plenty of good mouthfeel and head retention Nice bite too helped with a couple of carb drops in 500Ml bottles to make a good fizz, i like belching pilsner burps in any case
As close to urquell as I could get from a kit.
I only ever used Coopers BE2 with all my coopers lager/ale brews
Let us know how it goes

LordEoin

it's a nice kit. ferment at about 12C with 1kg extra light DME (+250g sugar if you want more alcohol) then play with it as you want.

Thomo

Thanks guys. I did the muntons pilsner last time, I bulk primed it and it turned out quite nice. Good fizz to it. I have a king keg to fill for this one so will see how it works out

Thomo

I've just set it away with the Coopers BE2 and about 275g sugar. Its says to Ferment on the instuctions at a min of 18. Would fermenting at 12 not be to low?

Ciderhead

March 28, 2013, 10:09:07 PM #5 Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 10:27:14 PM by Ciderhead
I checked the pamplet that came with my kit 4 years ago and on Page 7 has more detail for Pilsners and lagers
its an actual lager yeast so as lord eoin says 12-15max

Ciderhead

Thomo what was your OG or measured starting gravity?

LordEoin

yarp. this kit and the european lager are the only ones that come with a commercial lager yeast.
The sachet should have a 'P' after the number (eg 12312P)

with 1kg BE2 + 275g sugar, your recipe is probably (depending on the type of sugar):
kit + 775g dextrose(or similar), 250g maltodextrin, 250 light dry malt.

The extra sugar on top of the BE2 will probably mean you lose some of the body you gained from the LDM and maltodextrin, but it will still be a fine drop once it's done  :)

Thomo

March 29, 2013, 07:08:21 AM #8 Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 08:07:59 AM by Thomo
The og was 1042. I binned the packet the yeast came in and cant remember what was on it.

Ray

i just started this kit on wednesday. placed it under the stairs where i've made previous brews but nothing seemed to be happening. moved it to the kitchen where it's a bit colder and something seems to be happening
i'm away now until monday so i'll see what happens when i get back

LordEoin

@thomo - which yeast did you go with in the end?

@Ray - it can be a slow starter, but if there's some activity now you're set :)

Ray

March 30, 2013, 12:11:52 PM #11 Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 12:13:54 PM by Rayjustray
Fingers crossed eoin

I won't be able to check it for another 3 days and the suspense is killing me

Thomo

I used the Yeast that came with the kit but i binned the packet straight after so no idea what it is.

Mines be on since thursday night and i've been away since friday morning. Not much going on that i can see. The temp when i checked was 11deg. Dont know if i should higher this up?

LordEoin

12-14 seems to work best, but 11 should be fine.
If it's fermenting, i'd up it to 12 and leave it alone.

Ray

This seems to be quite a bit different to any kit I've made before. Seems to be a real slow burner