• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 28, 2024, 10:06:33 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

CultureTech Craft Beer Festival

Started by irish_goat, September 14, 2015, 01:53:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

irish_goat

Time: 1pm-6pm

CultureTech are hosting their 2nd craft beer festival this Sunday 20th September. There'll be a marquee out front with breweries selling their wares, live music from The Clameens and BBQ also happening. Should be good craic.

Breweries attending: Walled City, Kinnegar, Pokertree, Prohibition Beers, Fulcrum, plus another 1 or 2 I think.

James from Walled City will be brewing on the 200L Speidel and has offered us the use of the 50L. He also says we can help ourselves to pale malt and hops (Cascade, Citra and a few others). He has roasted malt but says if want anything specific we might need to bring it ourselves.

He's also keen to hold a tasting night so maybe we can aim brew something on Sunday that can be drunk soon enough. Hoppy pale ale? :P

irish_goat

I've had a thought that a autumnal red IPA might go down better. It should be ready for drinking for Halloween time so a nice blood red colour would be cool. I'll double check with James what hops he has. I have roast barely anyway and Get'Er Brewed are coming along so I can order any extras off them and get them delivered on the day.

Tom

Red IPA with a moderate bitterness and a lot of late hops would be drinkable as soon as it's conditioned. Are we fermenting it then, or is he? Might be nice to have it on draught in the bar?

Can we NOT use notty.

irish_goat

He said we could ferment it there but we'd have any way to hook it up to his temperature control and he says the ambient temperature is normally around 23c. I'd be more inclined to split it between ourselves and ferment at home. We could each pick a different yeast. Walled City use US-05 as far as I know. I have some WLP007 that I might make a starter out of.

Tom

I have some Saison III that'll start nicely at 23oC  >:D

I've only got Notty at the mo, so I've a week to source something nice. I'm not fussed about Notty because it ruined a dark mild by overattenuating the buggery out of it.

irish_goat

Cara was over in WC yesterday and says James will pass on malt + hops list to me.

WLP002 starter is on the go as well.

Tom

Going for MJ's US West Coast yeast. I've put in an order but won't get the bag of malt till Monday.

irish_goat

Quote from: Tom on September 17, 2015, 12:33:56 PM
Going for MJ's US West Coast yeast. I've put in an order but won't get the bag of malt till Monday.

Good stuff. Will be nice to compare and contrast the 2 yeast varieties.

Tom

We'll have to actually get a meeting for that to happen!

Pepin The Short

Hope everybody had a great day in spite of the rather naff weather today . would have taken a run down but havent been on here recently . so only seen this post now  :-[
Otium cum dignitate

Tom

Had a great day at Walled City Brewery yesterday. We managed every schoolboy error in the book when it came to the braumeister, including not adding the top mesh then watching grains flow over the top of the malt pipe and clogging the pump (involving emptying the whole thing and starting again), not adding all the liquor back from the first mistake, and scorching wort onto the elements, trying to add dark grains towards the end of the mash by removing the top filter mesh and again watching as all the mashed grains tried to flow over and out of the malt pipe. This resulted in the pair of us trying to force the mesh on against the pump, and getting our hands covered in a very hot sticky liquid!
Moving on from those errors, we managed to clog the out pipe at the end of the boil and had to syphon the wort out.

All in all, a great day.

I've the red IPA fermenting now under Notty, whilst Irish_goat has his under WLP_1098 or something. We'll be side-by-siding in a couple of weeks.

Cheers James for letting us wreck use your kit, and hope to see some new members join the forum and club in the coming weeks.

Tom

Tried the Red IPA last night. Pretty good! I get the hype with Citra, anyway.

Bit sweet, but otherwise fine. I'd say more like a modern Irish Red than an IPA, though.