• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 28, 2024, 05:35:16 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

National Brewing Championship 2020: A Call to Arms.........Stewards

Started by helmet, January 21, 2020, 09:59:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

helmet

Evening all,

The first National competition of the decade is almost upon us.
Helping out on the day, March 21st, as a steward is a great way to get to know your way around a competition and the day/afters is always good craic.

We need roughly 20 stewards, but the more the merrier.

Volunteers will be asked to be present from 9.30am to around 6pm. Venue had been confirmed as the Porterhouse Brewery.

Lunch and a pint will be included as a wee thank you! You will also, critically, get the opportunity to be part of a judging team and gain invaluable experience.

Duties on the day will include running beers from the cellar to the judges at your table, double checking judges' dodgy maths and keeping your judges on time.

If you're interested, and why wouldn't you be, please register and volunteer at https://competitions.nationalhomebrewclub.ie/

If there are any questions please feel free to post them here and I'll do my damnedest to answer.

fishjam45 (Colin)

I just stuck my name down to be a steward on the competition website but can judge on the day either - whatever is needed.

Will share now with the rest of Garden County Brewers and try get a few more heads.

Looking forward to this as its always a great day out.
Garden County Brewers

https://gcbrewers.wordpress.com/

phildo79

'The first National competition of the decade is almost upon us.'

The new decade (the 20's) doesn't actually start until 01/01/21

helmet

Quote from: phildo79 on January 22, 2020, 05:00:38 PM

Is that how it works?

*last National competition of the decade.

phildo79

Quote from: helmet on January 22, 2020, 05:40:21 PM
Quote from: phildo79 on January 22, 2020, 05:00:38 PM

Is that how it works?

*last National competition of the decade.
Basically, yeah. There was no year zero from BC to AD. But it just doesn't sound right, does it. Like if you were born in 1980, you wouldn't say you were born in the 70's, would ya!

phildo79

Well you cannot argue with Wikipedia. It is ALWAYS right! Like the time it said Jeremy Beadle used his small hand to shoot laser beams out of...or the Bulgarian football team that Man Utd were once drawn against that had a chicken as CEO. I mean, you just can't argue with those kind of facts!  ;D

phildo79

Never mind that shit, it's the 80's again in the Jewish calendar...or is it the 70's  :-\

'the beginning of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar converts to year AM 5780 in the Jewish calendar.'

helmet

Be it the twenties, the tenties, Gregorian, Julian, Chinese or Stonehenge......don't forget to sign up to steward  on March 21st.

helmet

The competition venue has been confirmed for the Porterhouse Brewery, it's just a hop, skip and a jump from the Broombridge LUAS stop. If you were holding back for venue confirmation, this is it, get your name down on the competition site!

https://maps.app.goo.gl/a3MYJmSZqYe53qVL8

Inky

Have never been involved before but have stuck my name down as a steward if its needed.

helmet

Quote from: Inky on February 07, 2020, 10:26:49 AM
Have never been involved before but have stuck my name down as a steward if its needed.
Great stuff Inky. It's a brilliant way to get an insight into the judging of a competition. I've done it a few times myself and its a good day out. Also, never underestimate the absolute joy of receiving a free t-shirt!

DerekMc

Can you enter the competition and also volunteer to be a steward on the day?

helmet

Quote from: DerekMcKenna on February 07, 2020, 03:54:08 PM
Can you enter the competition and also volunteer to be a steward on the day?
Absolutely, you just won't be stationed at a table where your beer is being judged...........not that we don't trust you like!