• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
May 16, 2024, 05:21:45 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

For those judging in Cork, travelling from Dublin

Started by Saruman (Reuben Gray), February 27, 2014, 05:09:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saruman (Reuben Gray)

What's the story? Who is heading from Dublin to Cork to judge?
Is anyone attempting to take the train for a day trip? Early train gets in at 9:30 so that's probably too late for judges.

Anyone want to share a hotel room to cut costs? There's a twin room in a B&B I have been in before with free parking, 10 mins walk from the Well for €130 all in. That would be €65 each for two nights (Fri & Sat).

Any takers?
Reuben Gray

The Tale of the Ale - My blog about beer

LordEoin

Try Brú hostel. They have a late bar, loads of great taps, and small reasonably priced dorms.
2 bed dorm - 20 per person per night.

Otherwise Shiela's hostel is also a safe bet :)

Saruman (Reuben Gray)

February 27, 2014, 06:19:28 PM #2 Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 06:34:42 PM by Saruman
Ah, I'm not a hostel sort of person. I will happily camp but don't do hostels.
There's also no parking and since trains are no longer at the €10 each way price, driving makes more sense.

Never mind anyway, wife has decided to come down so I'll just share with her.
Reuben Gray

beerfly

i was thinking of doing the day trip, judging wont start till about 10

johnrm

I'll work to put a schedule together for the day so people can plan.
I didn't notice events in Dublin being planned around the public transport system. I took aircoach.
There's nothing wrong with Friday night's in Cork city either, some day the talent is better on Fridays...

Ciderhead

There is one twin room where 2 judges from commercial breweries will be sharing in Dublin.
There were 2 other rooms but the brewers decided after confirmations were sent to pay for them out of their own pockets.
There are no rooms being sponsored for commercial brewers in Cork.
I thought the judges in Cork were all local from Munster Breweries?, Taf and Jrm has info on those names in any case.

Saruman (Reuben Gray)

Quote from: Tube on February 28, 2014, 12:50:21 AM
Sponsorship? I think people coming to Dublin are having hotel rooms provided.

News to me
Reuben Gray

Ciderhead

Reuben it was offered to professional brewers from the industry where it was judged their input was valued and they would not have attended otherwise, as said only a couple took up the offer, the majority are paying for their own accommodation.  Last year we spent a fortune on Judges accommodation and travel expenses from sponsorship and it wasn't necessary.

Dunkel

Planning ahead as usual, I already have the B&B booked (Butter Market House). But due to work (working until 10.15 pm on Friday, and back in at 12 midday on Sunday) I'll be driving (well, motorbiking) down at 6 am on Saturday, and leaving Cork at 8am on Sunday. Hardly seems worth going to bed ...

DEMPSEY

We just gotta see you on your bike in full biker gear.Pic's :)
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

BrewCity

I'll just point out that Bus Eireann has a special on - only 6 euros each way for an express bus Dublin-Cork. The times may not work for everyone, but it is quite a deal.

johnrm

Kick off is at 10.00 for Checkin.
Full schedule will be posted in the next 2 days.

For those travelling by train, if theres enough you can get a mini-bus from the Station.

LordEoin

Yeah, we don't want to have a bunch of lads from The Pale loitering around our lovely streets, bringing down the property prices!
Thankfully it's a pretty direct route between the train station and the Well, and it will keep you all out of our delightful City Center.