• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
May 20, 2024, 02:46:22 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Name a decent Belfast Restaurant that I haven't been to before..

Started by Bazza, March 06, 2014, 01:40:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bazza

..okay, I'll make it a little easier; can anyone recommend a new (or old) restaurant they've been to in Belfast recently? Somewhere with a half decent beer selection as well as good for dining.

I'm a fan of the following but fancy something new or different for a change:

Ginger Bistro
Mourne Seafood
Bengal Brasserie (Ormeau Road as opposed to Lisburn Road)
4th Wall
Porterhouse
Zen

..for this Saturday night.

Cheers,

-Barry
Whatever it is, I'm against it.
― Groucho Marx

Quiet_Man

Bazza

Cheers, QM. I had considered there but have heard mixed reports about the food (in fairness that was a good while ago). With Hilden ales on tap I'd be the proverbial pig in shit there but have to think of the other folk (annoyingly).

Deffo a contender, but. Cheers :)

-Barry
― Groucho Marx

iain_todd

Bengal Brasserie

Made In Belfast

Home (same guys as MSB, with Hoppelhammer and Orval available)

Little Wing

Robinson & Cleaver

Hadskis (near Duke of York)

"I was in a bar in Dublin, and it had one of those coasters and it said, 'Drink Canada Dry', so I thought I'd give it a shot" - Brendan Behan

sub82

Haven't been yet but have heard great reports about OX

James Street South Bar and Grill is also supposed to be good.

Bazza

Cheers lads,

Few interesting ones in there okay. Some I've been to and some I've never heard of :)

-Barry
― Groucho Marx

Bill_00

Depends how fancy you want...but Alley Cat is STILL great food and good beer.

Think you've covered all the other ones I'd think of. Tend to  do wine when I'm out though.

As an aside, Bubbacue have a license and some interesting ones, including some Flying Dog

sub82

Quiet_Man

iain_todd

"I was in a bar in Dublin, and it had one of those coasters and it said, 'Drink Canada Dry', so I thought I'd give it a shot" - Brendan Behan

Bazza

Quote from: iain_todd on March 11, 2014, 08:59:38 AM
Yeah Bazza, where did you go?

Hey! You not been checking your twitter updates? It's all over twitter and facebook where I went. (Just joking; I use neither. I'm in the camp of those who prefer not to look at photos of people's dinner or receive updates on whether or not the train they're on is a little crowded. There's enough bullshit out there without having to actively encourage it.)

Anyway, rant over. Ended up in the Potted Hen. Was decent enough but I've been there before so ultimately failed the original mission. That's what you get for leaving it to Friday afternoon to book somewhere. For dessert I eschewed the usual cheese platter/Irish coffee option and inexplicably ordered a Margherita. I never drink cocktails. My sister-in-law and husband thought this was hilarious while my wife just sat there looking at me funny. I think it was a combination of really wanting a tequila shot but at the last minute realising I was in  too civilized an environment.

Was in the John Hewitts before the meal. Couple of pints of the guest ales (Early Bird and Whitstable). Good to see. After the meal we wandered into the Black Box. Dead Pony and Hopplehammer on draught. Was smug as anything until the barman informed us the bar had closed at 11. Why did they let us get that far? Gutted.

-Barry
― Groucho Marx

iain_todd

Bazza

Tea smoked chicken for starter and saffron marinated cod for main. Both were very good imo.

All this talk of food and lunchtime's still ages away :(

Oh, they do bottles of Belfast Ale too.

-Barry

― Groucho Marx